AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationship Structure for Academic Department Database

Question asked by pmuhlrad on Apr 17, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Relationship Structure for Academic Department Database

Hello everybody.  I'm a relative novice with FileMaker Pro, and want to build a database containing all of the members of an academic university department (e.g., Faculty, Graduate Students, Post-docs, Staff, etc.), their general contact information, their relations to each other (e.g., which grad students and post-docs "belong" to which faculty members), as well as their publications, grants, and grant applications.  Setting aside, for now, the publications, grants, and applications, I'm still struggling to set up the tables and relationships for the various types of department members.  On another forum, I was advised to create a single table for "People," which includes everybody, use different occurrences of the "People" table to represent "Grad Students" "Post-docs" etc., and have another table that contains a separate record for each "Role" (Grad Student, Post-doc, Faculty, etc.), which I'll use to join together the other tables.  But I can't seem to figure out how to pull it all together.  Could some kind soul please help walk me through this?  Many thanks.

Outcomes