1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 11:41 AM by philmodjunk

Relationship Tables fields won't populate information

mcd

Title

Relationship Tables fields won't populate information

I use FileMaker 11.

I have Windows XP. 

I've used Filemaker 6 and 7 for 10 years, but very new at developing a database. 

My goal is to track donor gifts and spending - the amount donated, the amount spent with a subtotal for each donor.  Then I need a grand total for the overall donations.

I created a relationship database for tracking donors gifts and spending of the gift $s.

I built three related tables.

Donor (name, ID and gift total)

Gift (date, amount, gift id, donorIDfk)

Transfer (Transfer amount, Transfer purpose, JV, GiftIDfk)

Donor Table           Gift Table                      Transfer Table

Donor ID..............<Donor IDfk

Gift ID.........................<GiftIDfk

In Layout mode, I created the fields

I imported the information from an excell file.

The only fields I can populate (Target fields) are in the Donor Table. I can't select the gift table or the transfer table  in the drop down menu for Target - it's not available. 

I would input the data into the other fields from related tables, but I can't tab or insert the curser in the fields that are from the other two tables.

How do I access the other tables to input data? OR, how do I setup the field so it will take the data and populate the table - shoudl I have built separate databases?  I thought 11 got us away from that.

• 1. Re: Relationship Tables fields won't populate information
          philmodjunk

I gather the Transfer table documents how a gift is spent?

I'd create a list view style layout referring to Gift with fields from Donor in the header.

I'd use find requests to find only those Gift records for a selected donor.

I then can place a portal to Transfer on this layout so that I can view/edit individual Transfer records.

Question: Wouldn't it be possible for a transfer record to link to more than one gift?

Example, your organization buys a vehicle that takes the gifts from several dozen donors.

In that case, your tables would be linked like this:

Donor:: DonorIDpk------<Gift:: DonorIDfk

Gift::TransferIDfk>---------Transfer::TransferIDpk

and the layout design would be different as well.