AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationship update: odd behavior

Question asked by jonasg on Sep 29, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 by jonasg

Title

Relationship update: odd behavior

Hi everyone,

working with FM11, I've run into the following problem: Related records don't update correctly. In fact, in order to reflect changes in record relation, the only way to update the related records is to open the Manage Database dialog, perform a small change (like moving a table occurence on the graph), and accepting the "change".

Let me elaborate. The relationship setup is fairly complex, and I will try to keep it "simple":

Projects have items and offers. Most items usually appear once in every offer. Eventually, one of the offers will be accepted by the client. That offer then becomes the one and only accepted_offer for that project. There is a m:n joining table connecting items and offers. Those joining table entries also contain more information about that particular offer/item combination, as well as providing an ID field for attaching notes (another table) and tasks (the sum of which makes up the item's price for that offer).

What I would like to do is display the info from the accepted_offer for every item. On a layout based on items, I have

1. a portal that lists all of the project's offers, each line having a button that will set that offer as the accepted_offer for the project.
  2. another portal based on joining table entries, showing things like description and price, which can vary between offers.

NOW: When changing the accepted_offer, one would expect the content of the joining table portal to be replaced with the item's description and price from the new accepted_offer, right?

As I said, this works only when I make "changes" to the DB structure, which makes me suspect a possible FM caching bug. ALSO weird: when trying to perform a find in the second portal, I get this error:

"This operation cannot be performed because one or more of the relationships between these tables are invalid." There isn't much to find on the net about this, but most (if not all) of it seems to be related to erraneous use of the "on delete cascade" feature in the relationship properties dialog. But like I said, this happens in FIND mode.

I have tried different combinations of removing relationship attributes like the one described above, with no apparent results.

If this wasn't too much too read already, I would really love some help on this truly annoying problem. Thanks a bunch!

Outcomes