1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 10:00 PM by philmodjunk

Relationships

Kirk_1

Title

Relationships

I need help understanding relationships.

I have an invoice table, with several portals.

I have a what if table, based on the invoice table but, I've switched all of the fields to the new table.

I need some of the info in the invoice portals to import from the invoice to the new table. EX: descriptions...

I created a relationship in the new table to populate the descriptions.

I used the same id from both tables.. the invoice number. Because of the relationship i created, it populated the description portal. I did not duplicate the descriptions, i used the description id's. I thought i was smart and went about my merry way.

I have a rate program. The rate program would not work on some of the invoices. It found multiple descriptions where there was only one.

Is this because there are multiple relationships????

How do I track it down and fix it?

I can do it by hand (long script that adds a number to the description id to both tables and creates that tables own descriptions)

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Relationships
          philmodjunk

You'll need to describe your tables and relationships in more detail.

Generally speaking an invoicing system has one table for the invoices, one for the products or services that might be listed on one of the invoices and a line items table where each record lists one item selected for one specific invoice. The portal on the invoice is usually a portal to this line items (called invoice data in the invoices starter solutions for filemaker 12 and 13).

Is that what you have here?

The descriptions would seem to be data from the products/services table and a new table set up as a copy of the invoices table would seem to also need a related line items table. (and it's important to make clear whether you have duplicated a data source table in "manage | Database | tables" or a table occurrence box in "Manage | Database | Relationships".