2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 10:37 AM by philmodjunk

Relationships

HB

Title

Relationships & repeating fields

For each item in a repeating field, I need to show uptodate data in a related table that will only have one record for each of these items.

In more detail, I have a premade database system (very complicated, one that I cannot delete its design - only add features & fields & tables etc). Among many others, it contains:

File called Data01 containing a Table WO, which contains Fields WONum &  PartNum(10)  (10 max repeating fields)

File called Data02 containing a Table PC, which contains Fields PartNum(1) & Loc

File called WO containing Layout WO.

In Layout WO, I have inserted the field Partnum(10), so for each WO, it shows the PartNum(s)

& I want it to show the location which is in Data02 for each as well.

I tried lookup fields, but it doesn't stay up to date if the data in Data02 changes.

I tried to setup relationships too, but when I insert the Location field into the layout, it only allows for 1 repeating field max. & the data is empty.

Please help me establish the correct relationship.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Relationships & repeating fields
          HB

Is the only way?  To make a new instance of the table in the relationship graph for each repeating field????  I just tried that & it works.

• 2. Re: Relationships & repeating fields
            philmodjunk

Repeating fields are not the best approach to have in the first place here. A table of related records with one record for each related record will be much easier to work with and eliminate the need for multiple table occurrences like this.

There's a fairly simple way to use Import records to copy data from your existing repeating fields into a related table of separate values once you have defined the table and set up the needed relationships to it.