11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 10:00 PM by ultranix

Relationships again

ultranix

Title

Relationships again

Nothing really fancy, but simple relationships and table occurencies question once again.

I created table "Prizes", which will consist of rewards that i'm going to grant myself after reaching certain goal.

So, tables are two: GOALS and PRIZES.

from Goals: only important field is id_goal, as it is used in relationship.

from Prizes: id_goal, id_prize (autoenter serial number with abbreviation "PR" in front), prize, status.

I've got two layouts: One for prizes, another one for goals.

What i want to accomplish..

1) [via portal] be able to select prize in Goals layout (table occurence, which I'm having problems to set up) using a drop down list in a portal

After I "select" prize from a drop down list, it would then "enter" goal_id into Prizes table/layout, and it would be better to have it related correctly, so it would automatically update whether i change it in Goals layout.

2) somehow create "smart" list of prizes, so that i couldn't not take prizes, that are already assigned to other goals.

so, any ideas on creating that list?

and for relationships - do i need joined table? i rarely set those up myself, so I'm having trouble.

• 1. Re: Relationships again
          philmodjunk

One prize and only one prize for every goal? One goal and only one goal for every prize?

If so, do you need two tables or just a prize field in your goals table?

• 2. Re: Relationships again
            ultranix

It may be a field in goals table, but...

I always jot down prizes, that come to my mind and are not currently assigned to the goals. for example, for now, i don't feel i can afford expensive car for achieving on of my yearly goals, but in 5 years i might do that, so i just leave it without assigning a goal to it.

other than that, it's one and only one prize for every goal.

• 3. Re: Relationships again
              philmodjunk

If you have a serial number, __pkPrizeID, then you can use this relationship:

Goals::_fkPrizeID = Prize::__pkPrizeID

On your goals layout, format _fkPrizeID as a drop down list where __pkPrizeID is the primary field in the value list. A name field from the Prize table can supply a secondary field value.

• 4. Re: Relationships again
                ultranix

thanks, it worked. how to do it other way around? meaning, if i go to prizes layout and then from a dropdown list change the goal i assigned the prize to, it would also change in goals layout.

• 5. Re: Relationships again
                  philmodjunk

If you want only one way or the other, not both use the __pk field in the goals database and put the _fk filed in the prizes database.

I get a sneaking suspiscion that you want both, however.

• 6. Re: Relationships again
                    ultranix

so how do i do both? set up another relationship for goals layout?

the purpose is easy: to be able to assign prize from the goals layout and also to be able to assign a goal from the prizes layout.

And after i change the assigned prize in the goals table, it would change in prizes table accordingly and vice verse - if i change the assigned goal in the prizes table, it would change in goals table accordingly.

• 7. Re: Relationships again
                      philmodjunk

You'd need to do a bit of extra "fiddling" to make that happen.

Even though it's not a many to many relationship, you could use a join table:

Prizes---Prize_Goal-----Goals

Prizes::__pkPrizeId = Prize_Goal::_fkPrizeID
                      Goals::__pkGoalID = Prize_Goal::_fkGoalID

Enable "Allow creation..." for Prize_Goal in both relationships shown above.

Then assign a Goal on the prizes layout with a drop down list format on the Prize_Goal::_fkGoalID field. Assign a prize on the Goal layout by doing the same sort of thing with the Prize_Goal::_fkGoalID field.

There are also ways you might set up that use a script to update the link field when selecting a record from the primary key side of the relationship.

• 8. Re: Relationships again
                        ultranix

i tried playing around and setting relationships that basically mimic the concept that works in the goals table: as in prizes table the prize ID is the primary key, so i tried to set up a relationship to use in prizes database, that uses Prizes::fk_GoalID = Goals::pk_GoalID, but it only attempted to change goal id's, and not re-assign goal to a specific prize. not sure if i can come up with other solution alone.

EDIT: all the above was posted before your last reply. I'm going to check your latest reply and report with the progress.

• 9. Re: Relationships again
                          ultranix

That joined table thing didn't work, so i may end up using script.

• 10. Re: Relationships again
                            philmodjunk

How didn't it work? It should work.

• 11. Re: Relationships again
                              ultranix

I might be doing something wrong, but it's not after all that important. i can live with the idea of only being able to change goal in prizes layout, as it accomplishes my task better than being able to assign prize in a goals layout.

thanks for your effort, i would be grateful if you could take a look into that small and simple file i sent you (weekly, monthly, yearly view), because once i solve that, i believe my solution would be finished.