10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 3:19 PM by aklobby

Relationships and Portals

aklobby

Title

Relationships and Portals

I have a solution where people can sign up to serve on committees. This is my many to many relationship. I have a join table for committee assignments where i can assign a member type to each member on the committee. In a filemaker 11 version of this solution, this relationship works great. But on the new version (filemaker 12) I can create the committee on the committee layout, assign the person to a committee on the people layot using a portal, but cannot see a list of the committee members per committee on the committee layout using a portal from committee assignments (like I could on the other version).

I have upgraded to filemaker 12 and am using a data separation model in order to do some really cool things with addresses in the new version. I know the answer to my relationship portal dilema must be something simple, but can't seem to put my finger on it. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

Allison

• 1. Re: Relationships and Portals
          philmodjunk

This part of FileMaker did not change with the FileMaker 12 release.

Do you have these relationships?

Members-----<Member_Committee>-------Committees

Members::__pkMemberID = Member_Committee::_fkMemberID
               Committees::__pkCommitteeID = Member_Committee::_fkCommitteeID

If so, a portal to Member_Committee placed on a Committees based layout will list all committee members--in both FileMaker 11 and 12.

• 2. Re: Relationships and Portals
            aklobby

Thank you for your response. 

It appears I do have the structure you stated above. 

pk_People ---- fk_people_committee_assignment ----- pk_committee

I have made sure the boxes are checked that allow creation of records on both sides of the join table. 

The two main differences between the old solution and this one are: I am using the data separation model and a UUID in my people (or member) table. Otherwise the everything else seems to be exactly the same. 

• 3. Re: Relationships and Portals
              philmodjunk

I see a key difference. You have only one foreign key field in the join table, people_committee_assignment matching to primary key fields in both people and committee. There should be two foreign key fields in the join table--one to match to each primay key in people or committee.

• 4. Re: Relationships and Portals
                aklobby

Sorry I left that out. I actually do have two foreign keys.  So it really looks like this: 

pk_People ---- fk_people_committee_assignment 

fk_committee_assignment-------------pk_committee

Allison

• 5. Re: Relationships and Portals
                  philmodjunk

Then this should work.

If it does not, check the table occurrence and field names for your portal and the fields within it.

If you plan on editing your committee assignments, this should be a portal to the join table. If you just need a "read only" list of committee members, it can be a portal to People.

• 6. Re: Relationships and Portals
                    aklobby

What is interesting is that I can see fields in the Committee TO from the People Layout, but I cannot see fields in the People TO from the Committee Layout. I hope that makes sense. So the relationship works in a unidirectional fashion, but not bidirectional. 

I hope that might help in finding why the relationship isn't working. 

Allison

• 7. Re: Relationships and Portals
                      philmodjunk

That suggests that your portal or fields in the portal on your Committee layout is/are not specified correctly.

• 8. Re: Relationships and Portals
                        aklobby

I am pulling my hair out trying to get these specified correctly. I am not sure where this is breaking down. I even tried creating just this simple relationship in a test database and from the People (parent) table I can see info from the committee assign (join table) and the committee table (parent); on the join table I can see info from both parent tables, but cannot see anything on the committee table from the other two tables. I am uploading a screen shot of my test relationship. I feel like I am missing something simple but the aha moment hasn't hit yet. 

Allison

• 9. Re: Relationships and Portals
                          philmodjunk

I am suggesting that you look at your layout settings, not the relationships graph.

You might also compare what you have to this demo file I share for those working with many to many relationships. You can convert it to FileMaker 12 format by selecting Open to open it from the File Menu: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7

• 10. Re: Relationships and Portals
                            aklobby

Tweaking the layout was the trick. Not sure exactly what I did, but I tried putting a portal on another layout based on the same TO and everything started to work the way it is supposed to. 

Thank you very much for your help. 

A