11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 4:00 PM by leecy

Relationships don't show in Layout

leecy

Title

Relationships don't show in Layout

I have two tables: a Student table, listing all students, and an Attendance Table with fields relating to each month of the project.

I want to enter the total attendance for each month for each student, with the Student ID and Names pulled from the Student table.

I have related the "__pkStudentID" field in the Student table to the "_fkStudentID" field in the Attendance Table.

In creating the Attendance Layout, I pull the "__pkStudentID" field onto the layout, along with Student Last and First Names from the Student table. I expect to see the 147 records and Student ID show up, but nothing happens. No relationship shows up.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks. Leecy

• 1. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
          philmodjunk

And what value is in the _fkStudentID field? It's the value of that field that will determine which student record supplies data to the record on your attendance layout. Often, the _fkStudentID field is formatted with a value list of student ID's and names so that you can select a student for a given attendance record.

• 2. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
            leecy

Hi, Phil. So sorry. I didn't know you had responded! Thought I would be notified of a reply. My bad.

You are right in the results I want. I'm not sure about how to set the value for a field so that it works correctly. Currently, both the _fkStudentID and the _pkStudentID fields are set as text. What should the be? I'm a struggling beginner, as you can tell. Thanks! Leecy

• 3. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
              leecy

I see that I have never used the Value Lists section. Oh, my. Harder than I thought. If anyone has a link showing me how to relate tables so that the the student's ID, First Name and Last Name show up in all tables in the database.

I have a Student Table, with all student info. Then I have Test Scores, Courses Taken, Certification Completed. All of those relate to the students listed in the Student Table. That way, when the data-entry person opens each layout, she can enter information for each student listed. The Parent table, has a _fkStudentID field that is related to the _fkStudentID in all the other tables. Wish there were tutorials with step by step instructions to relate those fields properly. Do I also have to relate the Last Name and First Name fields? Thanks, again for any help. Leecy

• 4. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
                philmodjunk

See the first example in this file: "Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional value lists". You are not dealing with a conditional value list, but the first exploration layout in this file deals with how to set up a "use values from field" value list and that is the typical value list (when first learning how to do this) for what you describe.

• 5. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
                  leecy

Phil, I'm working through the instructions, step by step. Really appreciate what you do for us here. I'll let you know how things work out. Fingers crossed.

• 6. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
                    leecy

I have two related tables: Students and Attendance

The Students table has 149 records.

I want the Attendance layout to list the student’s ID, First Name, and Last Name for all 149 students. When I add a new record in the Students table, I want it to show in the Attendance table.. (Same with all of the other tables I add: Courses and Certification

In the Layout for Attendance, I drag the “__pkStudentID,” “FirstName,” and “LastName” into the layout. Nothing happens.

I created a Value List, taking the FirstName and LastName from the Students list.

When I get into the Layout for Attendance, I don’t find a place to drag that list into the layout. Still lost.

• 7. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
                      leecy

Tried to upload another image to show the layout, but I'm only allowed to enter one image, I guess. Here's how the value list shows in the Layout options. When I exit, no relationship shows. The field is blank.

• 8. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
                        philmodjunk

You would not format the last name field with a value list.

Put the _fkStudentID field on your layout.

With it selected, use the Inspector's data tab to set it up as either a drop down list or pop up menu that uses your new value list.

When you create a new record in attendance, use this field to select a student for that new attendance record.

I am assuming that you've set up a value list as specified in the AiF #1 file where field 1 is the value from __pkStudentID and a Name field (often a text field with an auto-enter calculation that combines first and last names in one field), for field 2.

• 9. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
                          leecy

Thanks, Phil. AiF #1 file? Not sure, Phil.

• 11. Re: Relationships don't show in Layout
                            leecy

Ahh. Thanks. I'll go from there.