AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationships For crying out loud

Question asked by kedikat on Mar 3, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 4, 2012 by kedikat

Title

Relationships For crying out loud

This is getting ridiculous. I have read various articles. Watched video tutorials. Searched all over.

But I cannot get the simplest relationship action to operate.

Is there a tutorial, for Filemaker, that shows a SIMPLE construction of two tables and making a working relationship? The video tutorial for "basic relationships" is not in the least basic. I have tried to populate fields via relationships between two stupidly simple tables. Nothing happens.

Table Names has fields nameID, and name. NameID is automatic serial unique. Name is just names. I have kept them unique during entry.

Table Phone has fields phoneID, nameID, name and number. PhoneID is automatic serial unique, name is a drop list generated from Names table, field name. numbers is numeric field.

I wish to select a name from the drop list and enter a phone number. The nameID should fill in via relationship. The saved record will have a unique phoneID, nameID can be repeated in this record, it will match the name and of course the number.

Seems simple enough. I have tried making the field name in Phone table a drop list. Works fine. But the nameID does not fill in. I have tried placing the field name from the Names table into the layout for Phone. Then the drop list does not work.

Etc, etc, etc.....

Does anyone know of a simple tutorial to enlighten me?

Outcomes