2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2013 8:14 AM by RonaldCarr

Relationships in Data file vs Layout file

RonaldCarr

Title

Relationships in Data file vs Layout file

I have separated my data into one Filemaker file and my Layouts into another.

When I have to change or add Relationships, changes to the Data relationships do not transfer to the Layout relationships chart.

Do I have to make the same changes in both?

Can I change just the Layout rfelationships and leave Data relationships alone?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Relationships in Data file vs Layout file
          philmodjunk

The only relationships you need in the Data file are those used in order for a calculation field, validation calculation or auto-entered calculation to evaluate correctly.

Any relationships used at the layout level-such as the relationship needed to add a portal to a layout or a conditional value list, do not need to exist in the data file.

This is likely to result in a very simple set of Table occurrences and relationships in the Data file in most FileMaker Solutions.

• 2. Re: Relationships in Data file vs Layout file
            RonaldCarr

Thank you.

BTW sorry for not providing closure about my last question on relationships.

I did go back and do some research and part of a video course that I needed and am feeling more solid.