AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationships with static value

Question asked by FluffyBear on Jul 23, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 by FluffyBear

Title

Relationships with static value

I have a question for anyone that have ever seen the answer, or for TSGal & Developers.

When defining a relationship foreign key between tables as a way for sorting and limiting the resulting set,  why isn't there a way to specify a static value in the relationship definition?

ie:

Table A

field_1

field_2

field_3

Table B

field_1

field_2

field_3

Currently, we can do A.field_1 = B.field_2 ,  but there is no way to do A.field_1 = 'MOO'  where you can just type in a value right there.  We have 5 different subsystems that get data from 1 big giant table as a super holding tank.  Each of the 5 databases only need a subset of all the records.  We can limit to what we want, but right now we have to add another field in each of the sub databases to specify a global field with the value we want as a filter  (A.field_1 = B.field_2  AND A.field_3 = B.field_3  where B.field_3 hold the value of 'MOO').  

This currently create extra fields in the table definition for the sub systems.  So my question is,  why can't we just have a feature where I can specify  A.field_3 = 'MOO' and type in moo right in the ER definition window?

Outcomes