5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 7:41 AM by T.Siwitza

remaining lines in layout

T.Siwitza

Title

remaining lines in layout

I created an input mask for a database with a layout, let's call it reference layout. With the first click of a new record (regardless which field) in this reference lay-out, dotted outlines appear around some of the other fields. (I mention some, as not on all. And I cannot find the discriminating element in the make-up of such two fields by comparison) They are all fields that are either filled or calculated in an other layout (let's call it the original layout) and I use them here as reference. In the same reference layout I add new information, i.e. new fields. Obviously I'd like to get rid of these dotted lines ...

As an afterthought and test, I realised that in cases where I used pick-lists (drop-down menues) in the original input layout, I still can modify the content of these picklists in the reference layout. That was not the idea of references. Although I can see the logic, why this is happening, I do not understand of how to prevent the modification of selected fields only in the reference layout.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

T

ps: I'll add a screenshots to illustrate the undesired lines for one field, while the other three are apparently of identical make

1_undesired_lines.png

• 1. Re: remaining lines in layout
          ninja

In layout mode, layout>>Layout Setup >> "General" Tab >> the little check box that says "Show field frames when record is active"

HTH

• 2. Re: remaining lines in layout
            T.Siwitza

brilliant, thanks

would you also have an answer to my second question?

" in the original input layout, I still can modify the content of these picklists in the reference layout. That was not the idea of references. Although I can see the logic, why this is happening, I do not understand of how to prevent the modification of selected fields only in the reference layout."

• 3. Re: remaining lines in layout
              philmodjunk

I think you need to explain your second question in more detail. Normally, one would expect to be able to edit data stored in a database unless the interface and/or security settings (their privilege set) prevents the user from doing do. But the devil is in the details. We don't have a clear idea of what you mean by a "reference layout".

• 4. Re: remaining lines in layout
                ninja

I have the same question as Phil, but I make the assumption that you want a data entry dialog, then a reference only "original layout".

If so, simply make the fields not enterable in browse mode (Inspector...data tab)

• 5. Re: remaining lines in layout
                  T.Siwitza

thanks Phil ...

while I was typing away an answer to you, I received the solution that worked from 'Ninja'

thanks to both of you