5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2011 9:54 AM by philmodjunk

remote disconnecting

Pedorthist

Title

remote disconnecting

If I leave my remote computer idle for more than 5 minutes the connection to the Filemaker host drops and in order to restore it I have to reboot the host computer.  This just started happening in the last week.  There have been no recent system changes.  Any suggestions on why this might be happening and how to fix it?

• 1. Re: remote disconnecting
          philmodjunk

When you first posted this question over in the FM GO section of the forum, I responded with a list of questions. It would help others to help you if you provided the answers to those questions:

What operating system on your host and client computers?

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using?

Are you using FileMaker Server on the host computer? If so, what version?

And some new questions:

What exactly do you see appear on the screens of both client and guest computers?

What do you see when you try to re-connect?

• 2. Re: remote disconnecting
            Pedorthist

Operating system is OSX 10.6 on both the host and remote Macs

Using FM 10 on remote and FM pro 11 on host

Not using FM Server - only connecting 2 remote computers

On the Client Screen I see nothing unusual - just my open database layout

On the remote the window for remote connection comes up with no listing of network or files  It shows no listing for hosts for available files.  When I reboot the client then I see the host listed in the host box in the "Open Remote File" window and my database is listed under the "Available Files" section.

Then, when it disconnects after a few minutes on idle, I try to reopen the remote file and no host or files are listed.

• 3. Re: remote disconnecting
              philmodjunk

When I reboot the client then I see the host listed

and in order to restore it I have to reboot the host computer.

Are two different statements you have made that seem to contradict each other. Are you "rebooting" by restarting the machine or by closing and reopening FileMaker? And on which computer?

What kind of network set up do you have? Are these two machines on the same local area network or are you connecting remotely over the internet?

• 4. Re: remote disconnecting
                Pedorthist

Are two different statements you have made that seem to contradict each other. Are you "rebooting" by restarting the machine or by closing and reopening FileMaker? And on which computer?

What kind of network set up do you have? Are these two machines on the same local area network or are you connecting remotely over the internet?

I am connecting over a local are network, not thru the Internet.

I do a hard reboot of the client (host) computer, then relaunch Filemaker.

Then, I am able to access FM on the host computer unless it sits idle for more than about 5 minutes.  After 5 min +/-  I lose the connection to the host and then have to do the restart again to get it to connect.  

• 5. Re: remote disconnecting
                  philmodjunk

Are you using a password with a privilege set other than "Full Access" to access this database? If so, there's a disconnect from server when idle setting that may be a factor and it's one you can deselect. Since it's labeled for Server, I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not.

If "nothing unusual" happens on your client machine, how do you know that you were disconnected? (I'd think you'd get a "connection lost" message popping up here...)

Does your client machine drop into (Sorry not a current Mac user so my terms may not be perfect here...) some kind of "sleep" mode in that 5 minute interval or are you actively using other programs when the connection is lost?