1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2013 11:08 PM by MattRichter

Remote File disconnection problems

MattRichter

Title

Remote File disconnection problems

We are using a filemaker database but do not have access to the admin passwords - we didnt build it, we just use it.

The file is housed on the local server - and accessed as a remote file across a wired network.

The server has it's own copy of Filemaker Pro running the file, and each user (4) has a copy of filemaker Pro on his/her local machine.

The problem we have is that the connection terminates after about 5 minutes of non-activity from any of the remote users.

See screenshot attached.

I cannot see any way to change this settings-wise ... nothing on the net or these forums about why it is happening.

How can we stop these disconnections? Logging in eveytime you need to use the database is very time consuming (we house all of our Training Documents through the filemaker interface.

Can I regularly refresh the connection somehow? You can see the ports being accessed on the screenshot - if that helps?

Any direction would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Matt

Australian Employment Services (AES)
           Tasmania, Australia

filemaker.PNG

• 1. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
          schamblee

You will need to contact the developer of your application.  This is a setting in the privilege set that only they can change.

• 2. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
            MattRichter

OK - I have the admin login - and have tried to change the Privileges so that there are no timeouts ... but I must be on the wrong track because it is still kicking me off.

• 3. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
              philmodjunk

I think that setting only applys when hosting from FIleMaker Server.

• 4. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                MattRichter

So what is the cause?

Can I trick the file into staying open by setting up something that repeatedly "touches" the file?

It is a major problem - and I can't seem to get a fix on the timeout length - sometimes it stays open for what seems like 30 minutes, other times ift kicks me off almost instantly ... makes me think it isnt a timed thing?

Surely someone has experienced this before ... running a remote file from a sevrer across a wired network would be pretty common wouldn't it?

Hoping that someone actually knows a solution - would hate to think that random disconnections were acceptable for such a mature piece of software.

• 5. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                  MattRichter

<bump>

Hasn't anyone got any ideas on this?

What causes the disconnection? Is there a way to force it / trick it  to stay open?

I have tried using a guest account with no password, I have looked everywhere I can for some sort of solution.

Surely someone who develops solutions using Filemaker has an answer.

Hoping at least to find out is it is fixable ...

• 6. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                    goodheart

After 5 minutes of inactivity from any of the remote users: does that mean that only the inactive user is disconnested, or are all users affected?

Are you able to access the log files on your server and clients? You should be able to find out if this is a network related problem or a FM issue.

• 7. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                      MattRichter

We are not using Filemaker Server.

We have a copy of Filemaker Pro running on the server, which has the file open as a shared file - then all of the remote users open the remote file.

Every user gets disconnected because of inactivity. So if any one of the users that has opened the remote file stops using the file for a small amount of time (and it isnt even 5 minutes in some cases) the connection drops out and they have to re-open the remote file.

What prompts the disconnection?

Is there some way to trick the system into keeping it open? There does not appear to be any setting controlling this, and if the default is to disconnect all remote file connections every 5 minutes - that is madness.

Does anyone know what constitutes "activity" - and is there a way to automate this "activity" to stop this ?

• 8. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                        philmodjunk

Are you using Windows 7 or a different release of the windows OS?

Are you being disconnected after the computer sits idle or can the user be busy using another application and then discovers that they have been disconnected from FileMaker will doing something else on the computer?

• 9. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                          MattRichter

Are you using Windows 7 or a different release of the windows OS?

Nope - all using Windows XP.

Are you being disconnected after the computer sits idle or can the user be busy using another application and then discovers that they have been disconnected from FileMaker will doing something else on the computer?

The second one. The user is active in other applications.

• 10. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                            goodheart

You keep referring to one computer as 'the server', but if all your systems are XP boxes, then what you really have is a peer-to-peer network. Is your version Home or Professional? How are ip-addresses distributed?

Where you able to take a look at the system log on the machine hosting the FM file? Is there a mention of a master browser conflict?

Maybe I missed this: but was your system stable at one time, or did the problems start from the beginning?

• 11. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                              philmodjunk

We hosted FMP 10 using FIleMaker Pro on an XP box for quite a long time and never had this issue. Can't imagine this changed with later versions (we now host the files with server), but anything is possible...

• 12. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                                goodheart

First thing to find out is if this issue is Filemaker or Windows related. Only FM Server writes its own logs (as far as I know), so we will have to make do with the Windows system logs, and check for network related issues.

@Matt: did the problems start right away, or did it run smoothly at first?

• 13. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                                  MattRichter

In relation to whether we are running peer-to-peer vs server-based network ... we are running a server - not peer-to-peer. The server handles authentication and shared resources.

The disconnection problem started immediately.

I am getting admin access to the server to check the logs.

In the meantime, I have added a line in my Registry this morning for KeepAliveTime (10000) on another forum's advice - will see if that effects anything at all.
                                  • 14. Re: Remote File disconnection problems
                                    schamblee

I would check for a power management setting on your network adapter.  There is a setting to turn off the network adapter to save power.  I would uncheck this setting. 

1 2 Previous Next