3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 6:27 AM by TSGal

Remote Filemaker hosting Login problem

SanderSel

Title

Remote Filemaker hosting Login problem

I have a group of about 6 filemaker dbs's being hosted on a remote filemaker server service that is accessible to user's at about 5-6 different locations.  All the users are using filemaker 10 either on mac or windows.  This is working flawlessly except for one particular user who has very intermittent problems logging into the remote server she is on a windows system using XP.  She was having no problems with fmkr 9 but now that her computer is upgraded to 10 she seems to be having problems almost everyday.  I've incorporated a lot of the 10 features into the hosted dbs's so the user's really need to be on 10.  The only that I've been able to determine is that when the user name (in preferences) is set to the same name as the login account name she gets a login error that won't even let her access the server.  Other than that I have not been able to find anything that can be logically explained.  I saw someone had a similar error when the remote server name was entered incorrectly or a space was added inadvertently to the end of the server name.  I've checked this and that was not the problem.

If anyone has heard anything about this or something similar even if you don't have a solution it would be useful to know.

• 1. Re: Remote Filemaker hosting Login problem
          TSGal

SanderSel:

Thank you for your post.

Is the one machine in a different subnet?  Try having the person log in from a computer that isn't having a problem.  Does the problem still exist?

Any additional information you can provide may help narrow down the possibilities.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Remote Filemaker hosting Login problem
            SanderSel

Thanks so much for your time and expertise.  

The problem computer is at a 2 computer office so same subnet. There are no problems with the other computer.  There are no problems with her account name and password on the other computer.  I can also log in at my remote location using her account as well.  

I'm very capable of troubleshooting Mac environments, but not so much windows systems and I am not her IT person.  I'm thinking that next time I'm there I will try setting up a different user account on her system and see if that has any problems logging in.  

I'm also usually good at finding commonalities when trouble shooting and so far I have had no luck with that.  

• 3. Re: Remote Filemaker hosting Login problem
              TSGal

SanderSel:

As you probably know, the intermittent problems are always the most difficult to troubleshoot.

Since you are accessing Filemaker Server, and the user has no problem logging in from another machine, my initial thought would be to replace the server.pem file on that machine.  That is, take the server.pem file from a working machine, and copy it onto the intermittent machine.  On Windows, you will find the file in the directory where the application is located.  For example, on Windows XP, this may be:

C:\Programs Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10\server.pem

Relaunch FileMaker Pro 10, Open Remote, and try again.

If this doesn't work, have you uninstalled and reinstalled FileMaker Pro 10?

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.