4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 2:16 PM by Kundinger

remote host

zepp

Title

remote host

Hi there

I´m thinking about using filemaker for my company. We are 3 people located in different cities so my question is simple, can I put my database on my local server so we can use it all at the same time using network sharing ? I have read a lot about using network sharing inside your LAN, but will network sharing also work, when we are connecting from different locations WAN (I have a static IP)

Instant webpublishing will not be enough for our needs

I really love this program but before I throw myself into the programming part, I really would like some experts advice whether its a good solution.

Thanks

Jacob 

• 1. Re: remote host
          Kundinger

Hi "zepp",

YES, you can remotely access FMP DB's from anywhere in the world!!!

You can do this with each user having a copy of FMP on their remote computer.  Or, you can do this with web publishing... either Instant Web Publishing (IWP) or Custom Web Publishing (CWP).

Both the 'FMP access' and 'web access' methods require some things to be configured properly.

- the 'shared' FMP DB's MUST be configured to allow "Sharing" 
             - your computer or server with the 'shared' FMP DB's MUST have a "Static" & "Real World" IP address for remote access
                   - NOT a DHCP IP address
                   - NOT a 'NAT' IP address behind a firewall or router
                         - UNLESS you know how and have the abilities to configure 'port forwarding' - this is typically managed by most ISP's 
             - you SHOULD set up 'accounts' & 'privileges' for security

Given this basic understanding...

- sharing FMP DB's from a computer with FMP & FMPA only allows 10 simultaneous users for 'FMP access' & 5 users for 'web access'
             - sharing FMP DB's from a server with FMServer allows 250 users for 'FMP access' ONLY
             - sharing FMP DB's from a server with FMServerAdvanced allows 250 users for 'FMP access' & 100 users for 'web access'
             - FMP, FMPA & FMServerAdvanced are designed to perform IWP, CWP is BEST served on FMServerAdvanced

- "FMP" is FileMaker Pro  --  a single user version with the ability to create, use & share FMP DB's
             - "FMPA" is FileMaker Pro Advanced  --  an ADVANCED single user version with the ability to create, document, use & share FMP DB's
             - "FMS" is FileMaker Server  --  a dedicated server version with the ability to share FMP DB's to FMP/FMPA users
             - "FMSA" is FileMaker Server Advanced  --  a dedicated server version with the ability to share FMP DB's to FMP/FMPA users and web users

*** Reference the FileMaker website for product specifications and more details ***

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 2. Re: remote host
            zepp

Thanks for a great an fast answer, I´m convinced that filemaker will be a superb solution for us. And now....it´s time for programming !!

zepp

• 3. Re: remote host
              Kundinger

Hi "IWPnotEZ",

This may NOT be simple to answer...

If you have your "own" server on the 'inside' of your LAN and it can be accessed from the Internet, you could possibly configure it to make FMP DB's available to Internet users through 'FMP access' or 'web access'.  Your ISP may be blocking the necessary ports to prevent this.

If your ISP, or any other 'hosting' service, is providing you server space for your e-mail and web pages, you will need to contact this provider to determine if they will 'host' your FMP DB's.  Most 'hosting' services will NOT...  they would have to deploy a computer with FMP/FMPA to 'run' & 'share' your FMP DB's.  Or, they would have to deploy a server with FMS/FMSA to 'share' your FMP DB's.  If they do offer this service, it could get rather $$$pendy.

A lot of people think that because you have a computer or group of computers 'hooked' to the Internet with DSL/Cable/T-1 etc. that they should be able to make their own services (e-mail, website, DB's, etc) running on their own server available to people on the Internet.  This is NOT always the case...  most ISP's only provide "dynamic" and "internal" IP addresses.  ISP's also 'block' almost all incoming 'ports' for security reasons.

You should talk to your ISP or other ISP about 'opening ports', 'redirecting port traffic', getting a 'static/real-world' IP address, etc. to allow people from the Internet to access services and servers on your LAN.  Most ISP's will do this if you purchase a 'higher' level of Internet access such as a "Business" type of account... it could get rather $$$pendy.

Kundinger 

• 4. Re: remote host
                Kundinger

Hi "IWPNotEZ",

I am only giving FREE advice here...  I am NOT making a commitment by saying "Yes or NO".  I tell my clients that I give FREE advice but charge $$$ for an exact answer that they "KNOW WILL WORK".

I do NOT know your complete situation...  LAN config; WAN config; server config; info system config; etc., etc., etc.

Your BEST bet is to hire a expert network consultant to design and oversee such configurations.  I have been doing this for over 20 years and would be available if needed.

Kundinger