5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 9:04 AM by philmodjunk

Remote open

CharlesVogan

Title

Remote open

OK, this should be easy, but it's evidently beyond my ken - it's not working.

I have a database file that I created in FM12 (Mac), and used Transmit to put it up on my server (StartLogic) in the root directory.  There it is. 

Now I assumed that I could use FM12 on my Mac to remotely access the file.  So I chose "Open Remote File", set up info about the file, and put the IP address of my website on the StartLogic server as the "host's internet address."  

Then under "Network file path" the program automatically inserts "fmnet:/" in front of my IP address.  Why, I don't know.  Then I put the file name in following that, and it tells me that "The file “SBI-Classroom.fmp12” could not be opened.  Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

When I fiddle with the "Network file path" data, there are varying messages of failure.  Nothing that looks like a valid path works.  

Any ideas? Or am I cheating somehow, and trying to access a database on the server too easily? 

Charles Vogan 

FM_Windows.png

• 1. Re: Remote open
          philmodjunk

The file must be opened on the server using FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server or you cannot use Open Remote to access it. Is one of these two applications installed on the server? Has it been used to open the file?

• 2. Re: Remote open
            CharlesVogan

No, it's a public server company, so they aren't going to run FM on it.

I feel like I'm being hung here.  StartLogic refuses to let my MySQL databases be open to outside control (like software on my Mac -- Sequel Pro); I can only use their primitive MySQL interface for data entry.  And I can't see any way that I can use FM to remotely access and update a database on their server.  I don't suppose you know a way I can have a database as a plain file on my website, and manipulate it remotely on my Mac, wihtout requiring a server app to run on the other end?  Sort of like editing a document from long distance? 

• 3. Re: Remote open
              philmodjunk

I don't see a way to make that work for StartLogic. You can set up FileMaker to function as the front end to MySQL databases and it could be installed on your computer rather than theirs, but this would seem to encounter the restriction you report here.

Sounds like you need to tell StartLogic that you'll need to put your data on another company's server where you can have reasonable levels of access to your data.

• 4. Re: Remote open
                Pebbles

Hello

I seem to have the same problem as Charles. I am trying to remote access my database from a laptop but I keep getting this error  

“COE_2010-2013_DB.fmp12” could not be opened.  Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

I am working of of windows and I do have the file open in the server. I can access it from my desktop  and other laptops. but I am having trouble setting it up on this partuicular laptop.

Does anyone have a solution that can help me?

• 5. Re: Remote open
                  philmodjunk

Actually, you don't have the same problem.

I do have the file open in the server. I can access it from my desktop  and other laptops. but I am having trouble setting it up on this partuicular laptop.

Charles did not have the file opened on the server.

It could be due to issues with the .pem file that should be part of the FileMaker install on each client machine.

For More Information see:   

Windows:  FMP installer does not install server.pem file

Mac:  Can't login to FMS database on new Mac, other Macs can

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip