3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 3:10 PM by philmodjunk

Remote opening multiple external data sources

RodLayman

Title

Remote opening multiple external data sources

I have a collection of databases on a PC host machine running Vista and FM10 Pro. The databases provide a package of property management functions and are mostly separate .fp7 files, accessed through a "Main Menu.fp7" file. The other databses are mostly separate .fp7 files such as "Property info" or "Work Orders". The host machine has Filemaker TCP/IP sharing turned on and the files all the database files have access priviledges set wide open.

The other two PC's in the office run Vista and XP with their own FM10 Pro licenses. They need to be able to remotely open the "Main Menu.fp7" on the first PC and access the databases. I am having a few problems:

1. the host machine (Vista) doesn't appear to be "broadcasting" the files that are open (Main Menu.fp7) to the other machines, both of which have Bonjour installed. However, these two machines can see hosted files on my laptop when I bring this to the client's office.

2. the "Main Menu.fp7"does open remotely from my laptop. However, the other databases that Main Menu.fp7 is supposed to open are not available to the client machines. I have tried some workarounds here including having "Main Menu.fp7" open (hidden) all the necessary databases. This works except that each file has to then be accessed by going through the "opern remote" routine on a client machine -- annoying. 

I have also tried adding the network file source paths to these files in the "External Databases" dialog so that each client machine can find the file. This works except that the file is then opened as a "shared" file, again through an annoying dialog and with the limitations of this approach.

Any suggestions? An obvious answer to problem #2 is to combine all 15 database tables into one .fp7 file -- a lot of work since the layouts and reports would need to be re-done.

Regards,

Rod

• 1. Re: Remote opening multiple external data sources
          philmodjunk

1. the host machine (Vista) doesn't appear to be "broadcasting" the files that are open (Main Menu.fp7) to the other machines, both of which have Bonjour installed. However, these two machines can see hosted files on my laptop when I bring this to the client's office.

Check the firewall settings on your host machine it may be blocking access. As a quick test, turn off the firewall and see if you can now "see" the host machine from the client  machines. If that fixes it, check your documentation to open the proper ports in your firewall.

2. the "Main Menu.fp7"does open remotely from my laptop. However, the other databases that Main Menu.fp7 is supposed to open are not available to the client machines. I have tried some workarounds here including having "Main Menu.fp7" open (hidden) all the necessary databases. This works except that each file has to then be accessed by going through the "open remote" routine on a client machine -- annoying. 

I've worked with a lot of "one file, one table" filemaker DBs that are hosted from a regular copy of filemaker pro. Building a script that opens all the files on the host machine as "hidden" files is the best approach I've found. You only need to open all the files this way on the host computer. The client machines should be able to automatically open each file when it is first referenced and it should not have to present the user with any kind of dialog when it does so.

I have also tried adding the network file source paths to these files in the "External Databases" dialog so that each client machine can find the file. This works except that the file is then opened as a "shared" file, again through an annoying dialog and with the limitations of this approach.

I don't follow what the problem here is. You shouldn't see any dialogs when the file is able to successfully find the file and open it. Any way you link to this file, it will be a "shared" file by definition, but I'm unaware of any limitations for the user to that approach compared to merging the tables into a single file. Perhaps you could describe the "annoying dialog" and the limitations that concern you?

Merging the files is a big, but not insurmountable task. If you want to know more about that approach, this thread: Do I have to use/pay for FMPro Migrator in order to merge my 4 datafiles into 1?

• 2. Re: Remote opening multiple external data sources
            RodLayman

Thanks for your help PhilModJunk. I'll let you know if I uncover anything else of interest while trying to fix this. I looked at FMPro Migrator & will go there if I can't get things working more smoothly.

Regards,

Rod

• 3. Re: Remote opening multiple external data sources
              philmodjunk
                 I've never used that product, I used the process of manually merging files to reacquaint myself with filemaker after a long absence. The thread includes an outline that describes a recommended sequence for manually merging files.