3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2014 2:23 PM by philmodjunk

remote record creation iPad pictures not uploading

BFalasiri

Title

remote record creation iPad pictures not uploading

I flounder. There are no nearby FM experts, and the ones that I have hired remotely cannot answer these questions to my satisfaction. I have a small shop, running FM 13 on a dedicated mac mini, which acts as a server. we have 2-3 users, and do not anticipate an increase for the next few years. I am NOT running FM server, and cannot justify the expense at this time. We do use FM 13 on a desktop, but primarily our inventory, and point of sale system has been created for use on the iPad. Pictures are a big part of this. 10,000+ records, each with 2-3 pictures. We are gearing up to use this on site with our customers for sales and service.

However, we are running into problems when we create records remotely from our warehouse. There are crashes and slow uploads on LTE. (Records searches from the desktop also often result in crashes.)  Our internet speed is as high as I can get. Our iPads are on ATT network, the best in our area. I realize that using LTE will have problems because of varying signal strength.

In the event that photos can not be uploaded on site, can they be taken with the iPad camera and imported into a FM Go record right from camera roll or photo stream? will the photo be properly archived on the server? i need this to function well before we change over our system to FM and FM Go.

Also would using FM Server resolve any of this? if so, why?

Your thoughts, comments, pointed remarks, all welcome!

• 1. Re: remote record creation iPad pictures not uploading
          philmodjunk

In the event that photos can not be uploaded on site, can they be taken with the iPad camera and imported into a FM Go record right from camera roll or photo stream?

Yes, you can insert image files from the camera roll into container fields in your database. With a file plug in, you could also set up photo stream to stream the pictures to a folder on your Mac Mini and then import or insert them from there.

Another option to consider is to put a stand alone database file on your iOS device, insert your pictures into records of this database file and then design your system to "synch" back to the mac mini once you are within WiFi range of the mac mini. There are several third party produces synch tools, 360Works and SeedCode both offer such tools, that you can investigate to see if they meet your needs and budget for such a system.

There is also a PDF file on synchronization that you may find useful to read: http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_sync_en.pdf This file can also be found and opened from the FileMaker Help Menu.

• 2. Re: remote record creation iPad pictures not uploading
            BFalasiri

thanks for your reply.

as i recall (and i seldom wrench on FM anymore), FM creates a folder called "files" for container data, in which is placed subfolders with the file names, within which are the sub-subfolders for each of the container fields.

if i took pictures with the iPad camera, then uploaded them to a record in FM Go, would the photo then be archived correctly? or would there be some future nightmare in which links would be broken, etc.? (side note: fixing broken links is not as easy and straightforward as it ought to be. someone should take a page from Adobe, and how they click to restore links in a jiffy).

the plug-ins which utilize photo-stream (which are they?) do you know if they just batch over everything, or can that be specified? will clever scripting be required to match photos with records? i imagine so. sounds hard!

i am intrigued by the option of setting up a data base for the iOS device, but wonder if capacity would become an issue...so many photos! also had tried out seed codes nifty map utility, which was desirable, but much too expensive for our little shop. i am afraid this may be the case as well.

• 3. Re: remote record creation iPad pictures not uploading
              philmodjunk

as i recall (and i seldom wrench on FM anymore), FM creates a folder called "files" for container data, in which is placed subfolders with the file names, within which are the sub-subfolders for each of the container fields.

Not necessarily. Only container fields with external storage specified (an option first introduced in FIleMaker 12), do this and what I describe can be done with a hosted file using external storage. External storage is not possible for a container field of a file located on the iOS device, only for a file located on a full up computer using FileMaker Pro or Server.

if i took pictures with the iPad camera, then uploaded them to a record in FM Go, would the photo then be archived correctly?

There would be no links to break at that point. The image file would be physically copied into the container field. If you use FM GO's Insert From Device step to capture the photo in the container field at the time that they take the picture, there is not even a copy to be found in the camera roll.

And then, if you use a synchronization method to move these images into the main database hosted on your mac mini, they can be imported into container fields that do or do not use external storage at your option. Generally speaking, archival storage of large numbers of image files are best done using either external storage or the older "store a reference" option.