3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 4:12 AM by DanMc

Remote worker dilemma

trouty

Title

Remote worker dilemma

Hi,  have just changed over to Filemaker 10 and wanted to use the Instant Web Publishing (IWP) for a remote worker, who could then log into my pc and access data.  My computer guy says that by using port forwarding and working in this way, my own PC will be slowed down and said a much better option would be to buy server space to use IWP.  Upon considering using IWP, I realised that my having to use my filemaker pro database in this way would be very restrictive and slow compared to using the database on my own local machine.  The question I have is that my ISP says that the only way I can access my filemaker pro database on their webspace is if filemaker has built-in ftp capability.  Is this correct, and does filemaker have it's own ftp built-in.  The other options is for me to use a dedicated filemaker hosting company, but this is expensive for my needs.  Which route should I take.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Trouty

• 1. Re: Remote worker dilemma
          DanMc

Trouty,

Not sure what your ISP was referring to FileMaker having FTP capabilities.  I seem to think they were just telling you that you could ftp the database file around for individual use on various computers.  Unfortunately that would not be a shared database and your data will be out of sync.

FileMaker database hosting is not really all that expensive these days.  MacUSA.net hosts databases for $16.95 per month or $169.00 for the entrire year.

Happy Holidays!

Dan 

• 2. Re: Remote worker dilemma
            trouty

Thanks DanMC, am opting for a Filemaker hosting package.  Am I right in thinking that I could use IWP to allow my remote worker to access the hosted database, whilst I could connect to the hosted database with Filemaker running on my PC at the office (ie - not using IWP)?

• 3. Re: Remote worker dilemma
              DanMc

Sure.  Make sure you enable IWP and FileMaker Sharing BEFORE you upload your file.

IWP does not function just like FileMaker.  There's a few modifications you'll be required to make to your layouts and some other functionality doesn't exists.  See the docs for more info.

Dan