7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 10:14 AM by EvaM

Remove Entry

EvaM

Title

Remove Entry

Hi:

Is it possible to set up a db that allows the user to remove an entry from a list of records by clicking an "x"?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Remove Entry
          schamblee

Yes.  Look at the invoice layout on the Invoice Starter Solution (The X button would be the same as the Trash Can Icon).  You would create a portal with an x in the portal then right click to setup as button, then select "delete portal row" request.

• 2. Re: Remove Entry
            Sorbsbuster

If you only want to remove it from the list of found records you can make the command 'Omit' instead of permanently deleting the record. (Something we very rarely do.)

• 3. Re: Remove Entry
              EvaM

Thanks, Sorbuster.  I don't have FM on my computer yet, as I was providing a quote to someone for a freelance project.  If I get the job, I might have more questions.

• 4. Re: Remove Entry
                philmodjunk

And you might want to get a lot more familiar with the product before quoting someone a price on a project that uses it. wink

• 5. Re: Remove Entry
                  EvaM

Yes, +1 on that, although when I decided to take the risks associated with that, I took into consideration that I will be in a better position to quote future FM jobs after doing this project.  Also, I am an IT grad student, and have designed databases with SQL +.

• 6. Re: Remove Entry
                    philmodjunk

Also, I am an IT grad student, and have designed databases with SQL +.

While a good working knowledge of relational database design as well as being able to write programs in one of the common programming languages will be all plus, a good working knowledge of SQL can actually be something of a handicap as FileMaker does not, except in certain limiated contexts, use SQL and SQL fluent programmers often find themselves frustrated when they reach for a familiar SQL approach to querying a database only to find that FileMaker uses a completely different way to get the same results.

• 7. Re: Remove Entry
                      EvaM

I'm downloading it now...