2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2010 10:05 AM by kolymsky

Remove file login

kolymsky

Title

Remove file login

I have used "file options" and "When opening this file" to switch to a particular layout everytime my database is opened.

As soon as I did that every time I try to open the file it asks for a sign in. I cannot find any way to remove this requirement even though it didn't need it before.

Ease of use and simplicity is very important for this database and an additional sign-in will only confuse/irritate the users.

Before you say that it is a good idea to have a sign on as security I can assure you that in the situation that its going to be used there is more than enough security in place before anyone can turn on the computer let aloone access the relevent account to get to the file needed.

Thanks in advance.

JS

• 1. Re: Remove file login
          philmodjunk

File Options specifies an account name and password also. If you have no password defined, this setting should specify an Account Name of "Admin" and no password. That then opens the file with the default full password setting.

It would be a good idea to add an account name and password and then use File Options to open the file with it automatically so that your user isn't asked for a password. I've seen cases where an uninformed user accidentally modified a layout simply because they accidentally pressed the keyboard shortcut for layout mode. Thus, a limited privileges password set in File Options or the guest log in option would be a simple way for your users to access the file in such a way that they can't have such an "accident". And you can still open the file with a full access password by holding down the Shift (windows) or option (Mac) key while opening the file.

• 2. Re: Remove file login
            kolymsky

I worked out that what I did was to uncheck the "Log in using:"  & Account name and password. This threw up the prompt every time.

On reflection though you are right, I am going to adjust the database to require the login but without password and configure accounts with limited privileges. I have just discovered the Get ( AccountName ) function which will help to eliminate the users irritation at the login.

Thanks again phil, you are a legend!