4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 6:29 AM by philmodjunk

remove white space from layout between records

Kaps_1

Title

remove white space from layout between records

Hello,

Its probably easier if you look  at the screenshots that I have attached to the post. I am trying to remove the gap between records - which is circled in orange. I have attached screenshots in both layout and preview mode.

I have tried the various position "slide up based on all objects / objects direcly above) but can't get rid of the space. Thanks

regards

Kaps

Thanks

Regards

Kaps

lake1.png

• 1. Re: remove white space from layout between records
          Kaps_1

and here is the raw layout.

• 2. Re: remove white space from layout between records
            philmodjunk

Am I correct that you have set the objects near the bottom of the layout to "slide up"? Did you also select "Resize enclosing part"?

This looks like a layout that would be more effectively designed if you used a portal (not sure if that's a portal near the bottom or something else) for your listed items and then set up a list view layout based on the portal's table for the purpose of printing these records. The other data from the parent record could be placed in sub summary layout parts.

• 3. Re: remove white space from layout between records
              Kaps_1

Thanks !! I selected resize enclosing part and it did the trick.

My list items are poorly labelled as I originally used a list function but found that the "¶" characters were causing problems on items which were at the bottom of the list and blank. Filemaker automatically included the "¶" character at the bottom. Instead I wrote a script that counted the actual number of items and looped through the exact number. This avoided any stray "¶" at the bottom.

I don't think I could use a portal (unless I have misunderstood you) as the number of items in my 'list' will vary and I thought I could not resize my portal parts in this way.

• 4. Re: remove white space from layout between records
                philmodjunk

I would use a portal to enter and store this data and because this data is now in a related table, use a list view layout based on that related table (but no portal) to print out this data. Such a layout can both expand and contract to fit the number of listed items.