4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 5:31 AM by ninja

removing  data from layout

puigo

Title

removing  data from layout

I very recently started evaluating FM 10 and I ran into an issue which I am sure has a simple solution… or I completely miss the concept of how FM should work.

I created a small database with 3 tables and simple relationships.  The database contains data from different clients and each client can only see its own data.

To restrict client access to its own data, I am using the "Custom Record Privileges" for the respective privilege set and all is working like a charm!

Here is my problem: when my layout is displaying the data, it is listing all entries the user has no privilege with a <no access> message (see example below).  Ideally, this data should not be displayed at all! 

Is there a workaround that?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Fernando

Example:

Date               contractors       client              other               teams

<no access>    <no access>    <no access>    <no access>    <no access>
      03/11/2009       5                      2                    2                    2
      04/11/2009       4                      2                    3                    2
      05/11/2009       4                      2                    3                    2
      06/11/2009       3                      2                    2                    2

• 1. Re: removing  data from layout
          comment_1

Perform any find, even a bogus one such as searching for * in a field that cannot be empty.

And do not let users initiate a Show All Records command.

• 2. Re: removing  data from layout
            ninja

howdy puigo,

Welcome to the forum.

If you work within found sets that the user CAN see, these <no access> items will not appear.

This may mean building a find step into your navigation scripts as well as your startup scripts. (Find for thier account name in the "who can see this?" field)

Depending on the suitability to your app., you can additionally put a "find mine" button on the layout which performs this same find.

Note that the "who can see this?" field need not appear on the layout if you:

Enter Find Mode

Setfield [accessfield ; Get(AccountName) ]

Perform Find []

• 3. Re: removing  data from layout
              puigo

Ninja -

You are flying way high above my head, but I think I understand what you mean...

As I metnioned, I am a little green with FM and not sure how scripting works, let me dig a little into the Scripting part and I will let you know how it worked.

In any case, thanks for your time.

Best, Fernando

• 4. Re: removing  data from layout
                ninja

puigo wrote:

Ninja -

You are flying way high above my head, but I think I understand what you mean...

Sorry, didn't mean to.

I've often found that the topics folks talk about are very easy to understand, but the terminology makes it seem very complex.  Check out the wording and poke about in the FMP help screens to get definitions.  I think you'll find that the terminology alone is what makes it seem complex.  You may not be used to the Filemaker-ese language.

Terms like:

Found Sets (a set of records meeting certain criteria, like 'Joe is allowed to see these' "

SetField (script command to put a value into a field)

Perform Find (find the records matching the criteria previously entered)

Script (a series of instructions to be performed in order with a single "go" command...like a mini program)

They can be intimidating when you aren't familiar with them, but when you realize what they really are you say "those are simple concepts, why did I feel overwhelmed?"

For what you are trying to accomplish, first look into Finds and Found Sets.  Then we can help you work through how to implement them in your application.