3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2008 5:42 PM by davidhead

Removing "Quick Start" file names/references

DrDave

Title

Removing "Quick Start" file names/references

Hello,

When I start FM Pro, V9, the quick start show me a list of recently opened files. I want to remove this list of files...for a number of reasons.

I see that there is a "remove" button from the favorites area, but nothing for the "recent files" list.

Thank you for your suggestions.... 

• 1. Re: Removing "Quick Start" file names/references
          TSGal

DrDave:

There is no way to remove the recently opened files list from within FileMaker Pro.  However, if you go and remove the FileMaker Preference file in your user directory, it will remove the list of recently opened files, but it also removes all of your favorite hosts.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Removing "Quick Start" file names/references
            DrDave

Thank you for the response.

What is the name of the file and where can I find it. I use both a PC and Mac.

• 3. Re: Removing "Quick Start" file names/references
              davidhead

On Mac OS X: 

To remove your preferences follow the steps below:

1. Quit all running copies of FileMaker.
              2. Go to your FileMaker Preferences folder.  This folder should be located here: 

Boot Drive > Users > YourUserName > Library > Preferences > FileMaker Preferences 

3. Find the file named 'FileMaker Pro 9.0 Prefs' and/or 'FileMaker Pro 9.0A Prefs' and drag it/them to the trash.
              4. Now when you launch FileMaker Pro 9 your preferences will be recreated.

5. On Windows: 

On Windows the Recent Files information is stored under the registry: 

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\<x>\Recent File List\File# 
                (where <x> stands for the version number: 7, 8, 8.5, 9 and # stands for the File number) 
                e.g.  My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\9.0\ Recent File List\File01

Delete the value data (file path name) from each file as required.

WARNING:  Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows.  FileMaker cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.  Use Registry Editor at your own risk.  Before you edit the registry, you should first make a backup copy of the registry files (system.dat and user.dat).