3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 8:14 AM by philmodjunk

Removing a record from a layout

KerillEzzy

Title

Removing a record from a layout

I currently have two layouts.

The first is 'Underwater Equipment', the second is 'Equipment movement Log'. The first layout outlines the details of the location and various fields reflect data that is concerned with this. The second is a record of equipment details, repairs and movement. Certain fields here are show in a portal in the 'Underwater Equipment' Layout. I have a button on both layouts that links to the related data in the other layout. The relationship is built on a code that is a location code.

What I am looking to do is to move the data from the "Equipment Movement Log' into another layout/table when the equipment is no longer able to be repaired - say a 'Graveyarded' Layout. I do not want this to be seen in the Equipment M'ment Log' as the equipment is no longer current. We have to keep all details of the graveyarded stock for yearly auditting and multiple year comparison of equipment damage so erasing a record completely is not an option. I do not, however, wish this failed equipment to be included in with the data of working equipment.

I have tried searchign teh forum for an answer but am out of luck unless someone else has seen an answer somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be offered

• 1. Re: Removing a record from a layout
          ninja

It sounds like you would benefit from having an "EquipmentStatus" field that can be set to Active or Inactive.

Your "Graveyard" would be all equipment that is Inactive.

Your current relationship would then be

UEquip::Code = EquipMovement::Code

AND

UEquip::gStatus = EuipMovement::Status

where UEquip::gStatus is a global field set to "Active" in your startup script.

For additional reading on this, check out the topic "Portal Filter"

Just for terminology sake,.,..you aren't removing anything from a layout...or even from a Table...you are filtering the portal to filter out "Inactive" Equipment.

• 2. Re: Removing a record from a layout
            KerillEzzy

Hi Ninja,

Thanks for that - I will give it a try.  I do, however, want to move the Graveyard equipment into either another layout or into another table as we will need to be able to export all the details on these pieces of equipment and be able to easily look them up. 

Although I am filtering the portal in the UEquip table (thanks for the terminology there :-)), I am wanting to actually move it out of the standard layout in the Equipment Movement layout so that when we go through the records to look at what works have been done, we don't have to go through these. I realise that we can do a search but I am trying to overcome a need for a user to do this so only want to show active equipment. Although this may seem like an odd requirement, it is what the boss has asked for...Is this possible somehow?

I am relatively new to this Filemaker buildign database bit so please excuse me if I am actually saying something completely stupid... laugh

• 3. Re: Removing a record from a layout
              philmodjunk

You do not and cannot move any data out of any layout. You can, however, move the data out of the layout's underlying table. But this is not necessary to do what you want here and doing so adds unnecessary complications to your design.

Exporting details and easily looking up data on the active or "graveyard" equipment is quite easy to do and does not require exporting those records to a different table.

PS. In FileMaker, when you create a new table, the system automatically creates a table occurrence--a "box" in Manage | Database | Relationships and a layout with exactly the same name, but these are three different objects with three different "jobs" in your database. A table is where the data is stored. A layout is a means for accessing the data stored in the tables and a Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? is a means for establishing a relationship between a given table and other tables.