AnsweredAssumed Answered

Reorder a priority list

Question asked by KellyFisher on Oct 29, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 1, 2014 by KellyFisher

Title

Reorder a priority list

I have a number of tasks that are being assigned to our creative team. Everything is grouped as High, Medium, Low.  I want High = A##, Medium = B##, and Low = C##.

Currently I have formula set to change High to A, etc on one field [PRIORITYLEVEL].  And I have a second field [PRIORITY#] where I am manually importing the number 1, 2, 3, etc. And then a third field [PRIORITY] that is combining both fields to create A1, A2, B1, C1, etc.

What ideally I would like to do is either

(a) have the ability that if I change the 1 in PRIORITY# all the other numbers in this column automatically change to the next highest number.  For example if I want 4 to become 1, then 1 will become 2, 2 will become 3, 3 will become 4, 5 will remain 5, and so forth. I don't know how to do this script?  And the only issue I see is that I would want these to be unique (no duplicate A1...) and by the way I have it set up this way the number is not unique because there can be 3 1's (A,B,C). If I can figure out this script, I can work around that.

(b) would be to have one field that is a pull down (or something) that has a predetermined list A1...A25, B1....B25, C1...C25.  And if I change one to something that has already been selected (ie A4, everything moves to the next spot in the order). If I do this I will just have to manually put in High, Medium, Low and then this priority selection.

Can anyone help with the most efficient solution? (a) is probably more more realistic.

Outcomes