3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 10:35 PM by philmodjunk

Repeat a series of fields within the same record

kamerzell2

Title

Repeat a series of fields within the same record

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a simple inventory-type database for facilities and need to store multiple pieces of information in the same record. For example: Field 1 + Field 2 + Field 3 + Field 4 is considered one "value" to me. All four fields are needed together to paint the whole picture. I will have an unknown number of these "values" and need them to all appear in the same record for the facility. Is there a way to create a script for a button, like "Insert New" that would allow me to repeat the creation of blank Field 1 + Field 2 + Field 3 + Field 4 for new data within the same record?

Thank you very much for your time.

Ryan

• 1. Re: Repeat a series of fields within the same record
          philmodjunk

You cannot dynamically create additional fields in FileMaker. You can create new related records. Look up "portal" in FileMaker help to gain background info on this method.

What you do is create a related table for entering your values and then either a summary field defined in this related table or a calculation field defined in the original table using the sum function can compute the total of this field in your set of related records. You'd use a portal to display, edit, create and delete this set of related records.

• 2. Re: Repeat a series of fields within the same record
            kamerzell2

Thanks for the reply PhilModJunk. Unfortunately the fields I'm talking about are text fiels. For example:

Field 1 = Facility #

Field 2 = Task

Field 3 = Risk Level

Field 4 = Procedure #

I could realistically put all the information into one field. Like "Facility # - Task - Risk Level - Procedure #". Then the only problem would be reporting. Each facility constitutes one record in my database. I would need a way to develop a report that would limit the output to just fields from one facility instead of all the records/facilities in my database. Is that possible?

Many thanks!

Ryan

• 3. Re: Repeat a series of fields within the same record
              philmodjunk

Your last post used the addition operator--which is what you would use to add fields storing numbers, not text.

This can still be done. You can define a calculation in your original field that uses List to combine the contents of the field, but I don't think it will be necessary. If you think it is after reading this post please give an example of what you want.

You can set up a report based on the portal's table and it can list all the contents of your fields in the portal and yet include the data from your original table as well.

And this report can be limited to just one facility per report (or you can force a new page for the start of each new facilities list of records.)