1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 10:37 AM by philmodjunk

Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal

MattisA.Tangeraas

Title

Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal

Hi!

I do have a form with i have to fill out for every sample (prøve) i receive. See attached image.

The checkbox set (which get its checkboxes from another table) seems to not be repeated, what can be wrong?

1-kopi_2.jpg

• 1. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
          philmodjunk

The check box field is likely not properly "owned" by the portal.

Enter layout mode

Drag the field completely away from the portal and release your mouse button.

Drag it back into the portal and make sure that it is fully enclosed by the borders of the portal row.

Release the mouse and reposition your portal slightly. All the fields inside the portal row should move when you move the portal.

Once that happens, return to browse mode and you should see this field on every portal row.

• 2. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
            MattisA.Tangeraas

It worked, thanks!

Now, i do want the checkbox-set to just give med the relevant choises, how to fix that? 

I did make a table with all the analysis as separate records, and I've placed the same checkbox-set there. For example is it relevant to measure pH in coke but not in milk, how do i get the checkbox-set to only show me ph when i choose coke and not milk?

• 3. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
              MattisA.Tangeraas

and to mention, i also made an own table with all the types of ingredients (categories) we do, and I've checkboxed witch methods that were relevant.

I also have a table with the analsis recorded, but not with the checkbox-set.

• 4. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                philmodjunk

That's called a conditional value list. I got quite a large set of links for that subject:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Using ExecuteSQL to produce a conditional value list: Using ExecuteSQL to Produce a Conditional Value List

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 5. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                  MattisA.Tangeraas

That went fine, now i choose between the categories, then i choose relevant type and then the relevant analysis.

The next step is the Work-list for all the samples, which I've set up. 

Ive made a new table, and in one field i write the sample ID. I the would like the sheet to automatically display those fields which i checked for in the step above, so that i can register the results for the sample. How to achieve that?

• 6. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                    philmodjunk

I don't have a clear enough picture of your design to answer.

• 7. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                      MattisA.Tangeraas

Hi, sorry for being unclear.

I do have the set-up as viewed in picture above, the data entered in the portal is related to one, unique sample-ID, and is done when receiving the sample. When i do start to work on the sample and are going to register results, i have another table, which isn't made yet.

I want to just enter the sample ID, and then i want the database to just show me fields to enter that correspond to the checkbox-set in the portal.

Did that made it clearer?

Regarding to the conditional values i wonder if there is any way to get it to not show the incorrect type when i switch category? for example i can select category 1, and type a, but when i switch category the type is still on a. Is there any way to fix that?

• 8. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                        MattisA.Tangeraas

I could maybe add some more fields in the sample-register, and extract the relevant fields from it?

• 9. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                          philmodjunk

I want to just enter the sample ID, and then i want the database to just show me fields to enter that correspond to the checkbox-set in the portal.

I think you want to use fields where you'll need to use individual records instead. It will be difficult to impossible to set up your layout such that selecting check box values 1, 3 and 6 show a field for each from the same record for data entry. But it's pretty simple to set up 3 records in a related table where you have a text field showing the selected value to serve as a "label" and a second text or number field for recording the associated result for your sample.

If you want a change in category in the category field to automatically clear previously selected values in the check box field, try this auto-enter calculation and see if it works. It should delete all previously selected values that are not part of the new category's list of values:

Let ( trigger = CategoryField ; FilterValues ( ValueListItems ( get ( FieldName ) ; "yourvaluelistNameHereInQuotes" ) ; CheckBoxFieldHere ) )

you'll need to clear the "do not replace existing values..." check box.

• 10. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                            MattisA.Tangeraas

Hi,

Now my database looks like this. I want to be able to select what to analyze for depending on the category (left in the portal). Ive managed to do the conditional values, but i do not now how to pass on. Shall i then make one field for each of the possible analysis for a sample? That would be like 10-15 fields i guess.

• 11. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                              philmodjunk

Shall i then make one field for each of the possible analysis for a sample? That would be like 10-15 fields i guess.

To repeat from my last post, you would create from 10-15 related records for recording your test data. You'd have at least two fields in each record for recording the results. The text field would repeat the value from the check box such as "Coliform Bacteria id E. Coli". The second field would record the results of this test.

• 12. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                                MattisA.Tangeraas

Ok. Would it be the best to make an pen table for This recodings, or would it be best to just AS the fields to the Table i have? (Do that matters actually?)

• 13. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                                  philmodjunk

To repeat: I am recommending that you add another table with one record for each test result for each sample. You could do this with a set of fields, but the results are likely to be very frustrating when you try to set up a layout that works for that.

• 14. Re: Repeating a checkbox-set inside a portal
                                    MattisA.Tangeraas

Hi again!

The thing is that i have many results for one sample, i don't actually know how to organize it in the new table. One sample is cultured on 2-5 different growth-medias, and everyone of these growth medias has an Unique number, ex M01234, M01235 and so on. M01234 could be a media for one specific bacteria and M01235 for another one (i could have another table to define and keep track of their ID and type).

When i do get a sample, it has an unique number ex 10023. I want to check wich parameters it shall be analyzed for, and then in a "task-window" i want the filemaker to show me which type of media the samples shall be cultured on, and then i would like to just type the Uniqe ID of the media in a field.

How to simply achieve this?

The hierarchy looks something like this: JNR-->SampleID-->Medias used, Results.

Im sorry, i do really have troubles getting started...

1 2 Previous Next