6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 11:36 AM by Sorbsbuster

Repeating fields

clrclarky

Title

Repeating fields

I want to force the repeating field to the next blank repeating field and not show the data please help i'm realy getting frustrated with this

• 1. Re: Repeating fields
          raybaudi

Hi

there is not much to work on... please, be more clear on your request.

• 2. Re: Repeating fields
            clrclarky

I have 10 repeating fields I have entered data in repeating field 1 and the next time i go to this record i want the data to go into repeating field 2 but not allow the user to see the data in repeating field 1 or edit the data in repeating field 1 and so on if i update the record for the 3rd time i don't want the user seeing any of the data in the previous repeating fields

cc

• 3. Re: Repeating fields
              raybaudi

What you want CAN be made but...

1) what if the last repeatition isn't empty ? ( IOW the user is gone to that record more than 10 times ? )

2) which is your FM version ?

Last ( but not least ), why a repeating field ?

• 4. Re: Repeating fields
                clrclarky

The user wants to have an audit trail of who has updated the file I suppose i could always put another database behind and let them update on that basis that would do the trick unless you have any other ideas.

cc

• 5. Re: Repeating fields
                  clrclarky

Sorry fm version 10 adv

and they would only use the field no more than 10 times

• 6. Re: Repeating fields
                    Sorbsbuster

"I suppose i could always put another database behind and let them update"  Well, exactly.  Filemaker is a superb relational database.  Seems a shame not to use it...

Create another table of the 'Audit History' records.  Create a new record in the History table every time there is another audit.  Show all the audit history in a portal.  This is a much more robust solution, and gets around the 'famous last words' scenario of: " they would only use the field no more than 10 times..."