8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 7:38 AM by carolynhaywood

Repeating Fields and Value Lists

carolynhaywood

Title

Repeating Fields and Value Lists

I have a Type filed with two types - tf and ec

I have a section field (global) with two repeating fields.

I want to assign a value list to each field.  Is that possible?

EX:

If type = tf

I need a value list to pop up in the section field for tf

If type = ec

I need a value list to pup up in the section field for ec

Is there another way to do this?

I created a field tfsectionlist validated as a member of tf value list.  I also associated the field with the tf value list in the navigation pane and made it a drop down menu.

I tried to setfield section field with tfsectionlist would it didn't work.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Carolyn

• 1. Re: Repeating Fields and Value Lists
          philmodjunk

I have a Type filed with two types - tf and ec

I have a section field (global) with two repeating fields.

I want to assign a value list to each field.  Is that possible?

It's possible, if you want the same list of values to appear in both repetitions.

This is called a conditional value list where selecting a value in one field selects the subset of values displayed in the value list of another field.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: http://www.4shared.com/file/f8NsU2DJ/ConditionalValueListDemo.html

• 2. Re: Repeating Fields and Value Lists
            carolynhaywood

I'm not sure if that is what I want.

I have one global field named z_resourcessectionfilter

If type = tf

I want the value list for tf to show up in z_resourcessectionfilter

If type =ec

I want the value list for ec to show up in the same field - z_resourcessectionfilter

I don't care if they are repeating fields or not just as long as one or the other can show up in the field on any given record.  

Thanks,

Carolyn

• 3. Re: Repeating Fields and Value Lists
              philmodjunk

That's exactly what a conditional value list does.

The value selected in type will control what values are listed in z_resourcessection filter.

If yo select tf, you get the values for tf to appear in the list. If you select ec, you get the values for ec to appear in the list.

One field, two lists, controlled by the value you select in type.

• 4. Re: Repeating Fields and Value Lists
                carolynhaywood

I think I am brain dead!  I can't figure this out.

In my zresources table, I only have 6 fields including the zsectionfilter and the ztypefilter.

The zsectionfilter field is located on a portal from a related table and is an edit box.

In another table,  TFsectionresourses, which is related to the zresources table, I have a field called tfsection which has 12 records, each one  representing the value for the tf list.

In the manage value lists, I have a TF value list which I have as follows: choose from field. 

Table on left is tfsectionresources with tfsection selected.  Use values from zresources is selected.

I know this is on the tip of my brain but not connecting somewhere.  

Thanks,

Carolyn

• 5. Re: Repeating Fields and Value Lists
                  carolynhaywood

After a short nap, I was completely able to get this!

I have 2 tables zresourcesectiontype and zresourcessection

It works on a practice layout.

The problem I have now is making it work on my portal - jobinformationbillabletimeselected

I duplicated the tables and realated them to jobinformationbillabletimeselected by job id

I also duplicated them and related them to jobinformation related by job id

On the portal, I use the tables related to job info : zresources section4 and zresourcestype 2

The "type" shows up and works perfectly,but the "section" says "no values defined"

I have the original tables zresourcesection and zresroucestype related by type

Can you advise, Please?

Thanks so much for your help.  I found the second link above to be most helpful.

Thanks,

Carolyn

• 6. Re: Repeating Fields and Value Lists
                    carolynhaywood

SUCCESS!

I created a new relationship between zresources section 4 and a new table zresourcestype 3 related by type.

Everything works!!!!!

Yipee!

I am a very happy camper as I will use this conditional value list a lot on this database!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Carolyn

• 7. Re: Repeating Fields and Value Lists
                      carolynhaywood

It's not working now!  I can't figure out why.

Please help if you can.  It worked then didn't.  Not sure what I did but now I have a blank field that I can't click into.  Nothing happens when I click on the field.

• 8. Re: Repeating Fields and Value Lists
                        carolynhaywood

SUCCESS AGAIN!

I had to make sure all the relationships allowed for the creation of new records on both tables.