4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 5:01 AM by ColinJim

Repeating Headers after Subsummary Part?

ColinJim

Title

Repeating Headers after Subsummary Part?

Hi all

I'm creating a report that is first sorted by a subsummary part (in this example, "District") and then lists fields underneath.  I don't like how the headers for those fields are above the subsummary.  Is there anyway to put them below so that they repeat on every page?

In the attached example I'd like to see "District 3 Preston - Lawerencetown - Chezzetcook" above "Bridge, Element Name, Condition, Maintenance Need, Maintenance Timeline".

Since I am asking questions, I'd also like to know if it is possible to repeat the subsummary at the top of each page if its content extends past one page?

Thanks in advance!

Colin

PS - Ignore the butt ugly layout.  Just trying to make things functional at this point....

Capture2.JPG

• 1. Re: Repeating Headers after Subsummary Part?
          philmodjunk

Make your subsummary part taller and put this text in the sub summary layout part instead of in the header. Then it will repeat with each sub summary layout part.

• 2. Re: Repeating Headers after Subsummary Part?
            ColinJim

Thanks, but then the headers don't show at all if the "District" extends to a second page...

Colin

• 3. Re: Repeating Headers after Subsummary Part?
              philmodjunk

That is correct, you can do one, the other or both depending on where you put this text, but none of these options will be exactly what you want. If you do both, you'll see the column lables twice each time a sub header coinicides with the top of the page--as will always be the case at the top of page 1.

Might be able to set up a conditional format to make the labels in the header part invisible in cases where they aren't needed. Data in a header is based on the first record on that page so GetNthRecord can be used to create an expression where you can compare data in the current record to data in the preceding record. If that data indicates that the first record on the page starts a new group under a new sub head, hide the labels in the header.

• 4. Re: Repeating Headers after Subsummary Part?
                ColinJim

Thanks Phil,

That sounds like a reasonable solution.  This report has been put on a back burner but when it resurfaces I'll have a go at what you mention above and post back here to confirm.

Colin