AnsweredAssumed Answered

Repeating Panels:  Can I Get Them To Appear by Using Radio Buttons?

Question asked by jdanniel on Jun 19, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2010 by raybaudi

Title

Repeating Panels:  Can I Get Them To Appear by Using Radio Buttons?

Hello everyone.

I'm using Filemaker Pro 10, and it's running on Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

I'm in the process of creating a (hopefully) very simple movie collection database.  It's flat file--I don't think I need anything relational.   But I think this project might be just a little more complicated than I anticipate. 

Some of the DVD's in my collection have only one movie on them.  I will call them a Single-Movie DVD.

Some of the DVD's in my collection have two or more movies on them.  I will call these a Multi-Movie DVD.

I want to be able to differentiate between these DVD's.  I think I know how to do that…just create a field with two radio buttons: SINGLE and MULTI.

Here's where things probably get tricky, and it's what I need help with.

If I select MULTI, I want Filemaker Pro to auto-generate a serial number (or something like it) for the DVD.  And I want a repeating panel to appear for the titles of the movies on the DVD.  But I want the titles in the repeating panel to be part of a search, if I search for a movie's title.  

The single movie DVD's will be sorted alphabetically, whereas the multi-movie DVD's will be sorted numerically.

I hope what I just said makes sense, and I hope I worded it well.  I'm not really a database design expert.

Is this stuff possible with a flat-file database?  Or will I need to create some sort of relational database to enable a repeating panel?

Is it possible to just create two separate databases, one just with single movie DVD's, and one with multi-movie DVD's, but link them together somehow just for search purposes?

What would be the most sensible and practical way to go about designing a database such as this?  All I really need are the movie titles, and the DVD's number.

Thank you for any assistance you care to give.   J. Danniel

Outcomes