4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2010 2:30 PM by raybaudi

Repeating Panels:  Can I Get Them To Appear by Using Radio Buttons?

jdanniel

Title

Repeating Panels:  Can I Get Them To Appear by Using Radio Buttons?

Hello everyone.

I'm using Filemaker Pro 10, and it's running on Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

I'm in the process of creating a (hopefully) very simple movie collection database.  It's flat file--I don't think I need anything relational.   But I think this project might be just a little more complicated than I anticipate. 

Some of the DVD's in my collection have only one movie on them.  I will call them a Single-Movie DVD.

Some of the DVD's in my collection have two or more movies on them.  I will call these a Multi-Movie DVD.

I want to be able to differentiate between these DVD's.  I think I know how to do that…just create a field with two radio buttons: SINGLE and MULTI.

Here's where things probably get tricky, and it's what I need help with.

If I select MULTI, I want Filemaker Pro to auto-generate a serial number (or something like it) for the DVD.  And I want a repeating panel to appear for the titles of the movies on the DVD.  But I want the titles in the repeating panel to be part of a search, if I search for a movie's title.  

The single movie DVD's will be sorted alphabetically, whereas the multi-movie DVD's will be sorted numerically.

I hope what I just said makes sense, and I hope I worded it well.  I'm not really a database design expert.

Is this stuff possible with a flat-file database?  Or will I need to create some sort of relational database to enable a repeating panel?

Is it possible to just create two separate databases, one just with single movie DVD's, and one with multi-movie DVD's, but link them together somehow just for search purposes?

What would be the most sensible and practical way to go about designing a database such as this?  All I really need are the movie titles, and the DVD's number.

Thank you for any assistance you care to give.   J. Danniel

• 1. Re: Repeating Panels:  Can I Get Them To Appear by Using Radio Buttons?
          raybaudi

Hi

I do not know, neither understand, what you mean with "Repeating Panels".

"It's flat file--I don't think I need anything relational."

But you need to create at least one relationship because each DVD may contain many movies ( one to many relationship ).

You'll need a DVDs table and a Movies table related by IdDVD ( auto-entered serial number ), with the option to auto-creation of related record in the Movies table.

In a layout of the DVDs table place a portal showing related records of the Movies table and create related records by compiling the fields inside the portal.

• 2. Re: Repeating Panels:  Can I Get Them To Appear by Using Radio Buttons?
            jdanniel

Thank you for replying.

Repeating Panels:  I'm not exactly sure what to call them.  It's a term that was used in Lotus Approach, which was the very first database program I ever dabbled with.

I'm going to try to explain what they are.

The multi-movie DVD's all have different amounts of movies.  Most of them have only two.  Some have three; some have four.  Some have as many as ten.

I could create a form with ten boxes, such as Movie # 1, Movie # 2, etc.  That should more than cover the quantity of movies on a DVD.

The problem with this:  How would I connect these fields to the TITLE field?  What I mean by that is, if I wanted to search for a movie via the TITLE field, would I be able to do that with ten different fields?

So, there is such a thing (at least in Lotus Approach) called Repeating Panels.  It's quite simply a field with an unlimited number of entries.  You type in a movie title, for example, in the text box for it.  Another text box will appear, where you can enter another movie title.  And then another text box will appear, and you can enter ANOTHER movie title, and so on.

I don't know yet if Filemaker Pro has such a feature, and if it does, what it's called.

I'm sure what I want to do is probably the textbook definition of a "simple" one-to-many relational database.   Unfortunately, I'm not very good at designing relational ones.  I'm fine with flat-files.  I guess the best thing for me to do is just try it, right?

One follow-up question:  You referred to a "portal."   I'm not familiar with that term as it relates to a database.  I suppose I'll have to start working on this project, and most likely that term will appear?

Jd

• 3. Re: Repeating Panels:  Can I Get Them To Appear by Using Radio Buttons?
              daveealex

jdanniel,

do you have the oppotunity to upgrade to Filemaker 11? If you can here is almost exactly what you are looking for:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/214599

I had the same sort of question a couple of weeks ago. If you cant upgrade i am not sure if there is a way to do this in Filemaker 10. If it is possible Raybaudi will know.

Dave

• 4. Re: Repeating Panels:  Can I Get Them To Appear by Using Radio Buttons?
                raybaudi

jdanniel wrote:

I could create a form with ten boxes, such as Movie # 1, Movie # 2, etc.  That should more than cover the quantity of movies on a DVD.

No, the form will have only a field: Movie ... but you'll create as many related records as you'll need.

jdanniel wrote:

So, there is such a thing (at least in Lotus Approach) called Repeating Panels.  It's quite simply a field with an unlimited number of entries.  You type in a movie title, for example, in the text box for it.  Another text box will appear, where you can enter another movie title.  And then another text box will appear, and you can enter ANOTHER movie title, and so on.

In the FileMaker world, such thing is the portal.

BTW: do not aspect , try the solution of two tables as I said in my first post.