2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 1:37 AM by zibzab_1

Repeating Payments eg. Direct Debits Standing Orders

zibzab_1

Title

Repeating Payments eg. Direct Debits Standing Orders

Hi, I'm creating a budget / expenses database as a project and would like to add a repeat function for Direct Debits / Standing Orders so that they only need entering once.

ie. Enter the details and amount and then how often it repeats (monthly, bi-monthly, yearly, 4 weekly etc) and the date it will be deducted.

Is this a simple thing to do?

Any advice would be much apprecited.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Repeating Payments eg. Direct Debits Standing Orders
          philmodjunk

It's not the most simple thing to do, but it's far from the most complicated either. Without a more detailed description of your database design, I can only give a general answer:

If you set up a table of such a "schedule" of actions, you can set up a script that does a once a day check of the data in this schedule and then use it to generate any new records in another table to log the new transaction. There are several different ways to set up a script so that it is performed once a day. This can be done from a schedule in FileMaker Server, a FileMaker "robot file" from an OS task manager such as Windows Task Manager or via a script that is performed every time you open the file.

• 2. Re: Repeating Payments eg. Direct Debits Standing Orders
            zibzab_1

Hi, thanks for your reply - I was thinking it would need a new table such as schedule.

I currently have a table called payments (in and out), Accounts, Suppliers and Categories (Type of Purchase).

It all works at the moment - very simple, but the ability to add repeating payments would be fantastic. I'll give it a go.

Cheers