1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2014 11:04 PM by philmodjunk

Repeating section

MichaelPoling

Title

Repeating section

Hi there.

Need a bit of help.  I'm still relatively new to database creation and FMPro13.  But I have a decent grasp of the basics.

What I need to do is create a section that repeats.  What I mean is, I need a few fields, namely Subjective, Objective, Assessment, Plan, Signature and Date of Visit to be on a layout and repeatable together.  I need to be able to have the user click to create a new section with all of these fields then accepting new data each time, while retaining the old data, organized by the date of the visit.  The idea is for a physiotherapist to chart each encounter, have it dated and signed (digital signature).

My first thought is to have 3 linked fields in multiple tables, Patient ID, Episode ID (because a patient may return at a later time and have us treat something else, which needs to be treated like a separate file, almost) and Visit ID (Which would track each visit within a particular episode.)

Is there an easier way to do this?  In Access, you used to be able to create a sub-table within the existing table.  It seems harder here.

Thanks
           Mike

• 1. Re: Repeating section
          philmodjunk

That sub table, called a sub form or sub report in Access, is called a Portal in FileMaker. In both Access and FileMaker this is a different, but related table of records so that you can work with multiple records in the portal's table from the context of a single parent record on your layout.

Portal is a term you should look up in FileMaker help and any training materials that you have as it is a very useful layout element that is used very frequently in FileMaker database design.