Repetition - count of

dzittin

Title

Repetition - count of

Simple Q, but I cannot find the answer. If I create a repetition, say:

$a[1] = "x"

$a[2] = "y"

$a[3] = "z"

How can I tell how many repetitions are in the list. I know (it's 3 :-) this example is simple, but I want to create a loop structure that processes each of the a[i] values and this list can grow (or shrink) by adding a value to the end (last+1). I can manually change the exit condition on the loop, but this is not as robust from a maintenance standpoint. Yes, I realize I can also use a list (ValueCount, GetValue), but the code isn't as readable as I would like, especially when the lists are long.

It would be nice if FM had a Unix-like

foreach $str in "x" "y" "z"

do

somethingto($str)

done

construct (I put this in the suggestion box). I seem to need this loop on a list functionality fairly frequently and can only think of value lists or repetitions to manage such a loop. If anyone has a better idea, I am all ears. In any event, I would like to know how to determine the valid number of elements in a repetition.

As usual, TIA for the good info flow on this Forum.

-D

• 1. Re: Repetition - count of
          philmodjunk

How do you load the repeating variable with values in the first place? Might you increment a second variable each time a value is assigned and use it to keep track of the number of repetitions?

• 2. Re: Repetition - count of
            dzittin

Hi PMJ,

I do a brain dead:

set variable[$a[1], "str1"]

set variable[$a[2], "str2"]

set variable[$a[3], "str3"]

I thought of incrementing an index value, but this is messy, although arguably more robust.

Pseudo code:

set variable[$i, 1]

set variable[$a[$i], "str1"]

set variable[$i, $i+1]

set variable[$a[$i], "str2"]

The later is arguably the way to get the robustness I want, it just means a lot of code when the list is > 10 or so items.

Thanks,

-D

• 3. Re: Repetition - count of
              philmodjunk

With this sample code, why wouldn't you just use:

Set variable [$I ; 3 ]