2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 10:18 AM by philmodjunk

Replace Contents of Field with Contents of Same Field which is AFTER Current Record?

phaberle

Title

Replace Contents of Field with Contents of Same Field which is AFTER Current Record?

I have a database of contact information. My source was a Word file. I cut/paste all the information into BBEdit to delimit  with tabs before importing into FMP. Everything is great except that I see a pattern from my import. For the email addresses, the email that is supposed to be associated with any record comes AFTER the record where it is supposed to be.

This may be confusing so I will try to illustrate. For each example I am showing the email field. This is  the pattern of where the email information falls into the db.

Record 1 ---  (empty cell)

Record 2 --- johndoe@acme.com

Record 3 --- (empty cell)

Record 4 -- janedoe@acme.com

What I would like to do is find a FMP Replace algorithm which would take the data from records 2 and 4 and move that data to records 1 and 3 respectively.

I've tried AppleScript. Record ID class is not sequential so I can't use rec ID as a reference to call data and move it where it's needed. I'm kinda guessing about a self join relationship in FMP that would somehow perform a miracle, but it escapes me.

Thanks