7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 6:59 AM by TSGal

Replacing Value in value list

anicolais

Title

Replacing Value in value list

IS it possible to change "Job Shops" to "Job Shops / Metal Cutters" in a value list without loosing all the information already entered? I tried this and it jsut made it all blank?

• 1. Re: Replacing Value in value list
          ninja

Howdy anicolais,

What is your value list based on?  Is it custom, based on a field, based on a field but showing values from another field?  This will make quite a difference in the answer to your question.  We need a little more info from you.

• 2. Re: Replacing Value in value list
            comment_1

anicolais wrote:
            IS it possible to change "Job Shops" to "Job Shops / Metal Cutters" in a value list without loosing all the information already entered?

The information already entered is not lost. It is simply not shown in a field formatted (as checkboxes, I presume) with the new value list - but it is still there. You need to replace the "Job Shops" value in existing records with the modified value.

This is a good example of how data normalization makes things easier: if you had a table of Categories, with fields for CategoryID and Category, and your value list were based on CategoryID, you'd be able to rename a category without a second thought.

• 3. Re: Replacing Value in value list
              anicolais
                 The field is just a checkbox field with values in it using a value list. For example "Job Shops" "Recycling" and "Metal Cutters" are all seperate values. They relate to nothing and depend on nothing. They are jsut there to indicate which industry segment the company is in when the callers are calling on the records they check this when they figure out the information.
              • 4. Re: Replacing Value in value list
                etripoli
                   But, are you using that field in a relationship to another table?  For the records to disappear ( from a portal, I presume), that's probably what is happening.
                • 5. Re: Replacing Value in value list
                  anicolais
                     No....I only have one layout and sorry if i said records I just have a box with a bunch of checkboxes in it and I am trying to change "Job Shops" to "Job Shops/Metal Cutters" I am just wondering if I will loose the information of the ones that were already checked as Job Shops or will the Job Shops/Metal Cutters then be checked instead which is what i want. Its just a simple 1 table related to nothing checkbox to hold my information on each record.
                  • 6. Re: Replacing Value in value list
                    etripoli
                       Ah, the answer is no, you will not loose any info.  That's the good and bad thing about having a value list applied to a text field.  If the value list items don't match what's already in the field, they won't show up - but they're still there.
                    • 7. Re: Replacing Value in value list
                      TSGal

anicolais:

When you change the value in a value list, you are not changing the already stored values in the record.  Therefore, those records with the old value will not display because they don't equal the new value.  To replace the old values, do the following:

1. Pull down the View menu and select "Find Mode".

2. Check the new option for "Job Shops/Metal Cutters", select "Omit" and press return.  This will find all records where "Job Shops/Metal Cutters" is not active.  This is done so we don't accidentally overwrite the new record information.

3. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".

4. Use the Field tool, and add the Checkbox field, but do not format it for Checkbox.

5. Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode"

6. Put your cursor in the newly added field from step #4 above.

7. Pull down the Records menu and select "Replace Field Contents..."

8. Select the last option, "Replace with calculated result:", and a Specify Calculation dialog box appears.

9. Enter the formula:

Substitute ( <your field name here> ; "Job Shops" ; "Job Shops/Metal Cutters" )

(That is, we are substituting "Job Shops/Metal Cutters" for "Job Shops" across all records)

10. Click OK, and then click "Replace".

11. If you look at your Checkbox field, you should now see results for "Job Shops/Metal Cutters"

12. Return to Layout Mode and remove the new field from step #4.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.