3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 10:06 AM by philmodjunk

Replacing value list selection into a value code...

DirkVanThienen

Title

Replacing value list selection into a value code...

hello, i have to following questions

Is it possible when the user is entering data to make a value list with full description of a possible field entry item like "dummy" or "manhole" but the actually record is entered with a code like "DUMM" or "MANH" ? I would like to do so because the my eventual export of the database in a CSV file should contain the codes. I don't want to use the actual codes for the end-user but rather a description, because mistakes could be made.

Maybe a possible practice would be using two column's for each field (description and code) and whenever the description is changed the code is also changed. Next on export only the code fields are used.
      Unless it is possible to replace the description by code on export to CSV (table lookup ?) ...

thx !

• 1. Re: Replacing value list selection into a value code...
          philmodjunk

It depends on how you format your field to use the value list as to how you set out to do this.

If you use a pop up menu or drop down list, you can put both sets of values into parallel fields in a separate table. Then set up your value list with the "use values from fields" option. Select the "code" field for column1 and the "description" field for column 2. You'll find an option that hides the first column. If you use the pop up menu option, you are done. If you use drop down list, you'll see the code value appear in the field when you exit the field unless you take additional steps to deal with that.

Here's two approaches: both start by defining a relationship between the table where this drop down list formatted field is defined and your table of values that matches on the code fields.

Method 1: Put the related description field from the value table next to your drop down list field.

Method 2: Put the relatd description field from the value table on top of your value list field. Use behavior settings to deny access to this field when in browse mode. Give it an opaque fill color so that you can't see the code field with the drop down list underneath it. When you click on this field in browse mode, the drop down list formatted code field pops to the front and deploys a value list. When you exit the field, it dissappears back behind the description field.

If you want to use other formats such as radio buttons, you'll need to use other methods--but you'll likely still want that additional table of codes and descriptions.

• 2. Re: Replacing value list selection into a value code...
            DirkVanThienen

ok, great, didn't know this option was available. It now shows the CODE value but the list shows description, i think this is sufficient enough.

ty !

• 3. Re: Replacing value list selection into a value code...
              philmodjunk

If you re-read my last post, I gave you a way to show only the description once you exit the field should you choose to design your layout and relationships to support that method.