4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 9:47 AM by philmodjunk

Report - Sliding Issue - Just How do you do it !

alanfair

Title

Report - Sliding Issue - Just How do you do it !

Ok am am still fairly new to Filemaker so I may well be missing a trick, hence this post 

Having discovered its virtually impossible to produce a report in a grid format bit like excel, where the fields have boarders, but allowing for the fact that fields on the same line, can vary in height depending on data within them, so the grid needs to be the height as the largest field on the row, - Well that be can be sort of for horizontial lines, but as for the vertical lines adjusting their height !!!

So I redesigned the report to work around this. As you can see below (first Image). The first field , 1.1 is set to slide upwards,  I need all the other fields to move up on block, maintaining their size and relationship to each other.  I have set them to slide up.

As you can see from the second image, they don't move mass.

So does anyone know how i do this.  OR do i accept that sliding in the report is a waste of time and all the fields have to be a fixed size. 

Many thanks in adbviance for any pointers.

reportexample_2.jpg

• 1. Re: Report - Sliding Issue - Just How do you do it !
          Sorbsbuster

I'm not sure I see what the problem is.  The top field has shrunk, and so have the middle fields below it.  Personally I find that a tad ugly, as they no longer perfectly align with their labels on the left.  Do you mean that you expected the right-most field to shrink as well?  Again it is personal taste, but I think the ragged alignmnet that would result in would offend my eye.  But if you want to achieve it I think you have left tagged (or maybe left untagged, can't remember the default) to slide the field using only the fields directly above it.  Try swopping that tag and see if it shrink up tight to the field above.  (Although I can't see what its bottom line has aligned with.  Unless you have another return as the last character?)

Remember that when sliding fields a pixel mis-alignment is enough to make it fail.

• 2. Re: Report - Sliding Issue - Just How do you do it !
            alanfair

Thanks for your reply, but I think you have misunderstood me.  I want all the fields below the top field (1.1) to move up maintaining their relationship to each other.

So I dont want their size to alter, i dont want the fields to shrink in size, i want them all to be aligned, with each other, ie all to move up when the (1,1) field shrinks)  (as they look in the initial design)

At present the fields do move up, but also appear to have shrunk, so the horizantal aligment is lost, is lost, gap appear and the line at the bottom is not level

Thanks

• 3. Re: Report - Sliding Issue - Just How do you do it !
              Sorbsbuster

Then for the bottom fields below 1.1 tick to slide, but not to resize.

• 4. Re: Report - Sliding Issue - Just How do you do it !
                philmodjunk

Don't specify borders for the field.

use the line tool to draw a horizontal line beneath each pair of fields on the left. Set the lines to slide up as well as you already have for the fields. This won't give you vertical borders, but it will supply the horizontal.

Due to the limitations in sliding that you have encountered here, you may need to rethink the design of your layout so that you try other approaches that may be asthetically acceptible but which avoid this issue.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
                3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
                5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
                7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
                9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
                11.           Fields will slide up only if Top, alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if left alignment is specified.
                13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.