3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 11:54 AM by philmodjunk

Report Based on Checkboxes

DominickReda

Title

Report Based on Checkboxes

Afternoon everyone,

I'm hoping this is fairly simple:

I have a table with multiple fields - the ones in question today are (1) "Name" [text field limited a value list of 4 constant choices] and (2) "Type" [Checkboxes - a total of roughly 50 choices - some records may have multiple selections]

I want to do a report as follows:

Lets say we have Joe, Joe and Jane for the names and red, blue, green and white as checkbox choices. There are 5 records so far as follows:

Joe - red, white

Jane - green

Joe - red

John - blue, green

Jane - white

I want to make a report that groups by each name and shows a total count of each checked choice for each person. So based on the info above the report would yield:

Jane

Red - 0

Blue - 0

Green - 1 

White - 1

--------------

John

Red - 0

Blue - 1

Green - 1 

White - 0

--------------

Joe

Red - 2

Blue - 0

Green - 0

White - 1

--------------

As always, thanks in advance for the help!

Best,

Dominick Laughing

• 1. Re: Report Based on Checkboxes
          philmodjunk

I think you need to modify the structure of your database so that you do not have a single check box field with 50 values in it. If you replace it with a related table of up to 50 records for each person--1 for each value selected for that person, producing your summary report becomes much easier to do.

• 2. Re: Report Based on Checkboxes
            DominickReda

OK - I think I see what you mean but would this work if the "person" is repeated multiple times?

The real purpose is that I have a DB in which Contractors are issues "safety notices" so the contractors are the same set of four names but the safety issues (colors in my earlier example) change each time a new "violation" is written. Each contractor can receive multiple violations a day with different violation categories - we're trying to create a trending report to show where the contractors need to improve.

Your help is much appreciated!!

Best,

Dominick

• 3. Re: Report Based on Checkboxes
              philmodjunk

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. You'd set up some tables in a many to many relationship like this:

Contractors---<Contractor_Violation>-----Violations

Contractors would be one record for each contractor.

Violations would list each of your 50 violation types (and adding/changing them is now a data entry job, not a programmer's)

Contractor_Violation has one record for each and every safety notice issued for a contractor.

Contractors::ContractorID = Contractor_Violation::ContractorID
              Violations::ViolationID = Contractor_Violation::ViolationID

You'd use a portal to contractor_Violation with fields added from Violations on your contractors layout to issue safety notices for that contractor.

A more sophisticated structure could include a projects table for cases where you need to manage this for more than one project.