1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 12:53 AM by sapa88

Report Generating

sapa88

Title

Report Generating

Hi,

Im using  the "Product Catalog" starter solution in FM11 at the moment. and i did some modifications according to what i need. i need to do a change in the "report" layout of this starter solution. now according to this starter solution we create new records in "form view" layout and once we click the label called "view product report" at the top right corner it redirects to the "report" and shows all the records we have created so far in a particular format. what i want to change is, when im in the "Form View" layout i can view one by one all the records i have created using the two arrow keys. lets say i have been browsing through all the records and one specific record catches my eye and i want the details in a report of just that record so i click the "view product report" label at the top right corner and it shows me the report details of just that record instead of all the records (which is how its been set at the moment). so how should i change the script according to what i want?. the script working for this feature is called "product report".

Allow User Abort [Off]

Go to Layout ["Report"]

Enter Preview Mode []

Adjust Window [Resize to Fit]

Pause/Resume Script [Indefinetely]

Enter Browse Mode []

Go to Layout [original layout]

Move/Resize Window [Current Window; Width: 909]

• 1. Re: Report Generating
          philmodjunk

Both Layouts are based on the same table occurrence. (You'll see the same "box" from Manage | Database | relationships listed in "show records from" in Layout setup.)

Thus, they share the same found set, current record and sort order. Any change you make to the found set on your form view layout equally affects what you see on the report layout.

For single user environments, here's some simple script steps that isolate the current record as the sole record in your found set:

Show All Records
          Omit Record
          Show Omitted Only

Put this at the beginning of your script and it will only preview the current record.

• 2. Re: Report Generating
            sapa88

thanks phil. and theres another thing which i want to know about the same starter solution. when  i try it on browser after enabling the IWP some features doesnt show up. such as when i go to the report layout it doesnt have the Print, Save as PDF features which is visible when i go in FM browser mood. and also in the same starter solution when i goto the thumbnails layout in web browser(IWP) it doesnt show the pic. but its perfectly working when i run in FMP browser mode. why is that?

• 3. Re: Report Generating
              philmodjunk

FMP 11 starter solutions were never intended for IWP. You have to check their design carefully for elements that are not web compatible. The scripts may contain steps that are not web compatible, for example.

Also, if an image file is inserted into a container with the "store a reference" option selected, it will not appear in the web browser unless the image file resides in a specific folder.

I suggest pulling down the help menu and reading the PDF on web publishing found in the producuct documentation sub menu.

• 4. Re: Report Generating
                sapa88

yes i checked the scripts by selecting the web publishing option in the drop down menu whish says show compatibility in the script edit window. then some of the steps go invisible/blocked which means those steps dont support web publishing. so is there a solution for this? Undecided like is there a way to find any other script steps similar to those which went blocked that would support web publishing? or any kind of solution other than that.

• 5. Re: Report Generating
                  sapa88

I just checked all the script options and about 40% out of all the script steps are not compatible with web. Undecided Undecided Undecided I hope FM would consider this because i believe that there is no point of having a feature called "instant web publishing" if like around 40% of the script steps are not compatible with web. anyway let me know if there is anyother way to overcome this problem? would be really helpfull atleast if i could get the "view thumbnails" button and "insert picture"in this starter solution working on IWP. because generating pdf's and taking printouts can be done using the hostmachine of the software (which wont be necessarily needed to be working on IWP)

• 6. Re: Report Generating
                    philmodjunk

You cannot insert files into a container from a web browser. There's a third party ad onn that can do so, I'm told: SuperContainer. I'm also told that it's rather expensive...

If your thumbnails are container fields that either store the actual image file or reference files stored in the correct folder, they should work.

• 7. Re: Report Generating
                      sapa88

well i only did several changes to the product catalog starter solutions. i did not do any changes to the script or field type. i only added new fields (which are mostly text fields) that needs to be stored some extra details of the products which we have here apart from the fields in the starter solutions such as product name , date etc. and the images are in a desktop folder. its just the product catalog starter solution which im using except for some additional fields that are not related to any of the container fields or scripts or anything like that. but no its not working when i run it on the browser. but it works perfectly in the software browser mode.  so what you said "If your thumbnails are container fields that either store the actual image file or reference files stored in the correct folder, they should work" hmm i dont think its happening Frown. well il try then by running the starter solution in the browser aswell. but im sure i did not do anything which affect its container fields or scripts or anything like that.

• 8. Re: Report Generating
                        sapa88

i tried the "product catalog" starter solution itself in IWP without any changes to anything. but still it gives the same result. and if im correct it has correctly all the images in container fields and stored in global variables etc.

• 9. Re: Report Generating
                          philmodjunk

That depends on the methods you used to insert the picture in the first place. The Insert Picture Script step is not web compatible so you cannot insert any pictures from a web browser. If you inserted a picture from FileMaker and then tried to view it from a web browser, that should allow you to see the picture, provided you did not click the "store a reference" option.

• 10. Re: Report Generating
                            sapa88

yep your correct i checked it and it works the way you mentioned. and just to clarify. i got few questions to ask regarding the software.

1.if i purchase more licenses and let others access the solution instead of using this web thing will it work? and if so after purchasing more licenses how should i proceed in order to perform this? 

2. will it work with the "FileMaker Go" to access this using the ipad?

• 11. Re: Report Generating
                              philmodjunk

1) yes, but research networking and hosting a database to learn more on the subject. The key here is that if you use "Store a reference" to keep the file size down, you need to also share the directory so that your users all can access the directory via the same file path created when the "by reference" path is stored in the container field when you insert a file into the container. A copy of FileMaker Pro can be used to host up to 9 users at a time that connect using a copy of FIleMaker Pro. (And 12 users cannot access .fp7 files and version 7 - 11 users cannot access .fmp12 files.)

FileMaker Server can support many more users accessing the database.

2) I don't think what I am about to say has changed with the release of FileMaker Go 12: FM GO users can connect, via Wi Fi, 3G and (with FM Go 12) 4G as clients of the hosted database. They will be able to see the images in the container field only if they are NOT stored as references.

• 12. Re: Report Generating
                                sapa88

regarding "Store a reference". whats happening in this starter solution is that it stores a copy of the image itself. it does not store a reference of the image which is followed by the path. am i correct? . and i must mention that all the computer at the office are networked. there is a public network drive where so many project files are stored and everyone can access any file via that. does this make any sense to support your argument?

about the ipad. so you mean that ipad is directly connecting to the database itself? not to any web browser via IWP?

and do you recommend any research materials for this apart from the FileMaker Training series? because it doesnt have anything related to FileMaker networking in that.

• 13. Re: Report Generating
                                  philmodjunk

I wasn't aware I was making an "argument" here. Just listing the pros and cons for you to make your own decisions.

The starter solution can store a reference if you check the box for that in the dialog that opens for you to select a file to insert. If you do not use store a reference, a copy of the file and the file's name--not it's path is stored in the field.

Store a reference is a very good option to use as long as: a) you don't have FM Go clients and b) the files are located in a location that works--which depends on whether you are publishing to the web or not. If you do not publish to the web, "by reference" containers will work for you if the file path stored in the container field is exactly the same one available to the client computer to directly access the shared directory where the file is located. This typically requires at least mapping the shared folder to each client computer using exactly the same drive letter on windows machines. On macs, you need to use the same server name.

I don't have the training series book in front of me, but I believe it has multiple chapters on networking. Any chapter that refers to FileMaker server is going to be relevant to this topic. A database hosted by FileMaker Pro and FileMaker server will behave pretty much indentically to the FileMaker Client being used to access the file.

The ipad can use FM Go to link to a hosted database just has though it is another computer on your LAN using FileMaker Pro as a client, but with a few limitations inherent to FileMaker Go and the iOS. If you publish a database to the web such as by using IWP, you can use the Ipad's web browser to access the database instead of Fm GO.

• 14. Re: Report Generating
                                    sapa88

Thanks phil got the answer for this. i have another thing which is related to reporting. when i goto the "Product Report" page it displays all the features save as pdf, print , print setup etc. but the save as excel is greyed out. i checked on the forum and came accross a similar post  http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/1aa5c7c705?lang=en_US 

so i did the changes which you have suggested in that post but it did not work. need help on this.

Allow User Abort[off]

Goto Layout ["Report"]

Enter Preview Mode []

Pause/Resume Script [Indefinetely]

Enter Browse Mood []

Go to Layout [original layout]

Move/Resizw Window [Current Window; Width: 909]

1 2 Previous Next