1 Reply Latest reply on May 21, 2015 10:45 AM by philmodjunk

Report help - sub summary to itemize data?

AFrancis

Title

Report help - sub summary to itemize data?

I've been having trouble wrapping my head around how I'll achieve the following. I'm looking for someone to steer me in the right direction on this. Two portals on the report? Two tables for the data in addition to the table for the reports?... help!!  

We are a membership organization and use a table/layout in which we quickly input basic membership orders to be sure all of them are accounted for during our busiest time of year - a kind of rapid input ledger. 

The table includes these fields

• Member ID
      •      
      • fname
      •      
      • lname,
      •      
      • full name concat.,
      •      
      • mem type (fixed rates depending on level),
      •      
      • total pmt (check amount) 
      •      
      • batch #,
      •      
      • date of receipt,
      •      
      • donation (can be any amount),
      •      
      • additional society memberships (fixed rate each).

We enter a total amount paid, and if the main membership and any donation or society memberships are accounted for correctly, they will all add up to the total amount paid. Our membership costs are constant (no odd/prorated amounts except the donation which can be any amount.) 

The trouble I am having is taking the main quick-entry record and turning it into a report by batch number (Summary), but here's the kicker - I need each payment itemized or split out from the data we've collected in the quick entry process. I can easily create a summary of all the batch items that looks like the following, but what I run into is the fact that each payment or check could contain three or four items that need to be reported below the individual's main membership payment. 

• Person1  membership type   check number  total amount
      •      
      • Person2  membership type   check number  total amount
      •      
      • Person3  membership type   check number  total amount
      •      
      • Person4  membership type   check number  total amount 

The following is what I am after:

The batch number will be in the header. The report will be for one batch only.

• Person1  membership type   check number           amount (this pmt can be one of three amounts)      

• Person 1 secondary mshp  check number  amount (always $25)
        •           
        • Person 1 donation   check number              amount (can be any amount)
        •      

•      
      • Person2  membership type   check number           amount       

• Person 2 app fee                  ck number      amount (always $15)
        •           
        • Person 2 secondary mshp 1 ck number      amount 
        •           
        • Person 2 secondary mshp 2 ck number      amount
        •           
        • Person 2 secondary mshp 3 ck number      amount
        •           
        • Person 2 donation                 ck number      amount
        •      

•      
      • Person3  membership type   check number           amount       

• Person 3 secondary mshp  check number  amount
        •           
        • Person 3 donation   check number              amount
        •      

I appreciate any help - let me know if you need further information or clarification. I keep feeling like I'm thinking too hard but haven't had the aha moment yet.

• 1. Re: Report help - sub summary to itemize data?
          philmodjunk

I don't see the match up in the fields that you list for the table with the amounts that you want to list for each person in the report.

But if you have a field in the same record for each amount, you can simply list them one above the other in the body layout part. You can set both the field and the field label to "slide up/resize enclosing part" to reduce the unused space when printing, previewing or saving as PDF. You can use "hide object when" (FileMaker 13 or newer) to make the field labels hide when their associated fields are empty. These will then allow the field labels to slide up when the data fields slide up.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.