9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 12:25 PM by philmodjunk

Report Help now :)

LuisN

Title

Report Help now :)

Ok so now that i have some stuff out the way. 

when creating a report, i want to have 2 "Bodys" but this is not allowed?

what i tried to do is have Line Items from 1 Table and then another Line Item from a 2nd Table. But when previewing the report, it doubles evverything.

if i place it in the trailing summary, i only see 1 line item. how can i work around this?

• 1. Re: Report Help now :)
          philmodjunk

Post an example of what you want to see.

• 2. Re: Report Help now :)
            LuisN

This is the PO PDf preview see how i only see the Special Item then the item from inventory? doesnt show all and its out of order.

heres what the po looks like in browse mode. not report.

and this is the layout mode for the report.the top one is pulling from Line items, and the bottom one is pulling from Line Items Inventory

• 3. Re: Report Help now :)
              philmodjunk

While that helps, what I asked for was how do you want it to appear?

Mock up what you want to see in your report if you could get this to work and post that. (This doesn't have to be fancy and picture perfect, just a general outline in text posted to the forum should do the trick.)

I'm asking this because I can picture more than one report layout that matches your original post and I don't know which option is what you really want here.

• 4. Re: Report Help now :)
                LuisN

ah ok, thats easy then :)

i want it to look like the middle picture.

but in report style.

• 5. Re: Report Help now :)
                  philmodjunk

You can do this by placing a portal to each set of items on your layout. Make the portal tall enough to list all possible rows and set it to slide up so that when you preview and/or print the layout, the unused space inside the portals doesn't appear.

There are other ways to do this, but that's the simplest approach.

• 6. Re: Report Help now :)
                    LuisN

Hmm.. so put 2 portals inside the Body of the report?

what would be the other way?

but when doing this, wouldnt i not be able to see all if its just 4 rows? what if there are 8 items in each portal?

• 7. Re: Report Help now :)
                      philmodjunk

The other methods require things like defining a special report table and importing the records from both tables into this third table--not an approach you want to use if you don't have to.

but when doing this, wouldnt i not be able to see all if its just 4 rows? what if there are 8 items in each portal?

I answered that question already.

Make each portal extra tall showing way more rows than you'd possibly need. (Make them 24 rows tall, for example.)

Use sliding to shrink the portals when you preview/PDF/Print the report so the extra unused space is removed from the report.

Sliding is an option located in the format menu in filemaker 10 and earlier. It's located on the Inspector on the postition tab in filemaker 11.

• 8. Re: Report Help now :)
                        LuisN

So tried it, and it only shows 1 item, not the rest =(

• 9. Re: Report Help now :)
                          philmodjunk

You have to base your layout (Select a table occurrence in Show records from in Layout Setup..) on a table occurrence that correctly links the current record to the two groups of records you want to see in your report. Thus, you have to select the right table occurrence from your relationship graph and you have to define the correct relationships in that graph to begin with.