Report is missing data

barrybuzz

Title

Report is missing data

Product:FileMaker Pro
      Version:10.0v3
      Operating system version:WinXP
      Description of the issue:
      I  have a report that spans multiple pages. Sometimes data is omitted from  the report, as the report goes to a new page. The data is usually  several paragraphs of text; the first few lines in the text field are  missing, but the remainder of the field's contents appears on the new  page.
      Steps to reproduce the problem:
      I  have a sample database that I can send privately, along with  screenshots (showing the text field, and the report missing the text).  Due to the confidentiality of the data, I cannot post it publicly.
      Expected result:
      All data from fields added to the report will appear in their entirety on the report.
      Actual result:
      Sometimes when crossing to a new page, all data from fields added to the report do not appear in their entirety on the report.
      Exact text of any error message(s) that appear:
      No error messages
      Configuration information:
      You will need my samples. Due to the confidentiality of the data, I cannot post it publicly.
      Workaround:
      None

• 1. Re: Report is missing data
          philmodjunk

Problems with text fields that cross a page break are a known issue with Filemaker 10, but usually it's a line of text that gets split vertically rather than text that's missing altogether.

For More Information see:    FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:   http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 2. Re: Report is missing data
            barrybuzz

Thanks Phil.

I just read thru that post. It does appear that this is the problem that I'm having. I found the bug in the known bug list. I do not see clear documentation of how to work around the problem, or troubleshoot.

Please advise? Much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Report is missing data
              philmodjunk

Upgrading to FileMaker 11 is supposed to help, but keep in mind that what you describe does not perfectly match the issue described in known bugs. Is there any chance that the field on your report layout is too small to display all the text entered into it? Check the records on this layout while in browse mode to verify.

The fix for vertically split text is not a simple thing. As I understand the approach, you have to make small adjustments to your layout part sizes until the splits do not happen--this could be simple or nearly impossible to do and produces a "fix" that may only work with a specific printer and/or printer driver.

• 4. Re: Report is missing data
                barrybuzz

The field's content's for this particular record definitely does not exceed the boudaries of the field on the layout. I'll try an upgrade to FMP 11 to see if that helps.

It sounds like the problem is well-documented, with no easy fix or workaround. Not ideal, but the users will have to live with it for now.

Thank you.