1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 10:21 AM by philmodjunk

Report Layout using the "wizard"

Title

Report Layout using the "wizard"

When you choose to create a new layout and choose the “Report” option, FM opens the “New Layout/Report assistant”.  This “wizard” takes you through the steps necessary to create a report suitable for printing.  My questions about this “wizard” method of creating FM layouts are:

1.  Do the sorts become part of the layout definition?  That is, will the sorts take place automatically each time I use this layout to produce a report?

2.  If the “wizard” is used to create a layout, can the layout be safely modified using the normal method of editing layouts?  IF the sorts are saved as part of the report definition, can they be modified?

3.  Is there any advantage to using the “wizard” at all?  Or, can all the features that the “wizard” produces be created by simply making a list layout and adding the appropriate layout parts?

• 1. Re: Report Layout using the "wizard"
          philmodjunk

1) I almost always skip the wizard myself, so I had to make a quick check. I think that the specified sort order becomes a step in the script that is also created if you specify the "create a script" option.

2) yes, you can enter layout mode and make further changes to your layout design. You almost always have to at least "tweak" the layout design generated by the wizard anyway.

3) If you are new to FileMaker, it can be a very good way to pull together a basic working layout for a commonly needed database task.

But, IMO, the more familiar you are with FileMaker and how a layout can be designed, the less useful the wizard becomes. I find that what I need to have on a layout tends to "evolve" as I complete the design and work with the client to understand what they need/want/like anyway so I often create a simple layout and then enhance it periodically as the database design reaches the point where I deliver it to a client.