4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 6:12 PM by davidscroggins

Report of "Projects" and active Tasks for each project

davidscroggins

Title

Report of "Projects" and active Tasks for each project

I have a table of "Projects" and a linked table of "Tasks"

I have a report layout, (based on the "Tasks" table, that displays my active tasks and sorts and groups them by project. Of course, if a "project" does not have an active "task", then it does not show it in the report.

I would like to print a single report that shows all of my active projects and any active tasks for each project.  It would seem that I need to base the report on the "Projects" table, but then I only get one matching task per project.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Report of "Projects" and active Tasks for each project
          philmodjunk

So is it possible for a project to have 0 active tasks but still be an active project?

• 2. Re: Report of "Projects" and active Tasks for each project
            davidscroggins

Yes,

A project might be active without an active task for me at the time.

• 3. Re: Report of "Projects" and active Tasks for each project
              philmodjunk

That leaves you with two options--both with limitations--so look over both carefully.

Option 1:

Base your report on Projects and use a portal to display all active tasks. With FileMaker 11, you can use a portal filter to exclude any tasks that are not active. In Filemaker 10 and older, you can create a relationship for this portal that excludes inactive tasks.

Size your portal to be many rows taller than you think you can possibly need to display all the active tasks for a given project. Specify that the portal "slide up", "Resize enclosing part" in the sliding and visibility section of the inspector's Position tab. All layout objects in the same body part that are below this portal must also be set to slide up/Resize--even graphic objects such as a horizontal line. This sliding will not be visible in browse mode, only when you are in preview mode, or when the report is printed or PDF'd.

Option 2:

Create an additional active task record for each project record that is never changed to inactive status until the project it self is no longer active. Now you can base your report on the Tasks layout instead of the projects layout.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
              2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
              3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
              4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
              5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
              6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
              • 4. Re: Report of "Projects" and active Tasks for each project
                davidscroggins

Thank you for the very detailed explanation.  Will help a lot.