Portals are able to slide up to remove unused portal row space, but fields within the portal row cannot slide up to produce rows of varying heights.
If you can't get at least one portal to work for your report (You can base your layout on one of the two portal's tables), your options for getting the report to work the way you want it may get fairly complicated.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
So, my bad. Portals work. I forgot to slide some titles, so the portals couldn't slide...
I guess I'm ok with this method, for now at least!