AnsweredAssumed Answered

Report using field from primary table and a summary field from a related table

Question asked by BenSun on Feb 18, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

Report using field from primary table and a summary field from a related table

Thanks in advance for your help on this. Am new to Filemaker Pro and have found it very intuitive so far but am stuck on a report I'm looking to generate.

I have two tables TBL_CONTACT, which represents a person and includes a F_CATEGORY field and related TBL_INTERACTION, which represents interactions with a person and includes a F_DATE of interaction field. The relationship is one (TBL_CONTACT) to many (TBL_INTERACTION). The basic table structures are working based on a unique index - portals work for instance.

I'm looking to produce a report which shows number of interactions (TBL_INTERACTION), by  F_CATEGORY (TBL_CONTACT), by month. Months as rows, categories as column headings, the number that matches the combination in the body of the report.

What I'm doing currently is creating a calculated field that shows the month and a summary field "count of month" - F_COUNT_MONTH. Then I create a report with the summary field and category. The end result is a report with two columns - i) F_COUNT_MONTH and ii) F_CATEGORY, grouped by category. Aside from the columns/rows not being quite what I'm after - it's hard to work out what the report is actually trying to show.

Could one of you fine folks help shed some light on this? I'm very grateful for the help.

Outcomes