3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 10:15 AM by philmodjunk

Reporting Most Current Sales

user17322

Title

Reporting Most Current Sales

I track historical customer sales and have fields for 2012, 2011...2008, sales etc. I do not have 2012 sales for each record but do have one of the previous years. I need to creat a field that will look to several other fields and pick the most current data to display. So if 2012 Sales is null, it will look to 2011 Sales and if that is null, look to 2010. Hopefully this is pretty easy to do.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Reporting Most Current Sales
          philmodjunk

If the data you want it to "pick" is data from other records that have a year field, then a relationship can be used to match to those records and if the relationship is sorted by year in descending order, the reference will return the data from the related record with the most recent year.

I can't spell out the details for that approach from what little that you have described in your original post.

• 2. Re: Reporting Most Current Sales
            user17322

One record per customer with a field for each year of sales. Now I want to print a customer sales report with only one field for sales per record. Since sales could be coming from one of several fields, I need a method to look for the most recent and report that number in the generic "sales" field.

• 3. Re: Reporting Most Current Sales
              philmodjunk

One record per customer with a field for each year of sales.

That will be a problem. This data would be better off stored in separate related records--which would be required for the method I mentioned in my first post. It would also avoid the need to keep adding more fields as the years pass.